Friday, November 11, 2011

BROUGHT TO MY CENTER

Institute has been wildly intense the last few weeks.  It seems that our wonderful teacher Brother McBride and us students are becoming one. Because our thoughts and language have been powerfully centered on the Savior.

I love this picture! The story and what it represents is a perfect reminder of the truth I was reminded about in institute!

This last Wed evening as we were diving into some sections of the Doctrine and Covenants, we started reading about all the different gifts of the spirit... and one by one as we found them in the verses of scriptures we would shout them out.  The topic "Gifts of the Spirit" excites me very quickly. And always has. I started thinking about all the ones I would like to have.  My mind was litterly filled with a wirlwhind of excitement as I read through some of the "stated" gifts given.  My teacher then asked which was the greatest of all the gifts.  We shot out a few answers like being Christlike and loving others.  All to which he replied that we were getting the general idea, but didn't pinpoint the "one".  Finally after several stumped seconds Alisha in the back stated "Charity".  And when she said it of course I knew she was right, and the teacher was joyous because that was the one gift he had been wanting us to say.

Interestingly--all that we were reading about in the Doctrine and Covenants that night, not once in that section did it say Charity--at least with the skimming and calling out we were doing.  And even though all these different gifts of healing, faith, administaton, etc and the excitement they brought to my mind knowing what one might do with such a gift--at the words of "Charity", I was brought back, to my center.  Yes, of course.  Without Charity, we, I am nothing.  Every exciting gift and the influence it might have--look to the root of that gift and you will find Charity.

This is nothing new, but for me that night, not seeing the words as a reminder in the verses before me, when the word was stated--I was brought to my center. Or rather, what my center should be!

For if one has charity one: 
suffers long
is kind
envieth not
vaunteth not itself
is not puffed up
not behave unseemly (indecently)
seeks not her own (not selfish)
not easily provoked
thinks no evil
rejoices not in iniquity
rejoices in truth
beares all things
believes all things
hopes all things
endures all things
will abide in charity
they have love = they have the PURE love of Christ (And that love ENDURES FOREVER)
won't suffer the laborer in Zion to perish (!! supporting our church leaders and what is asked of us!)
 brings the fountian of all righteousness (Isn't the fountain Christ--CHARITY THEN- BRINGS CHRIST!!!!!)
 One will greet (their spouse/loved one) with a "kiss of charity". (1 Peter 5:14) 
charity prevents a multitude of sins
"above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity" Bond = perfectness & peace
WITHOUT CHARITY = One is Nothing 
Charity, NEVER fails
WHEREFORE, CLEAVE UNTO CHARITY
Charity edifys (uplifts, instructs)
PRAY with ALL the energy of heart, that YOU may BE     FILLED with this love
And IF we are found possessed with it at the last day, "it shall be well with [us]", "for we shall be like [Christ]" (Moroni 7:47)  For if one does not have it, they "cannnot inherit...the mansions of [the] Father." (Ether 12:34)
So yes... I was brought back to my center. You can find all those references by doing a "charity" search in the scriptures. And there are many more...
But if one has Charity- one is truly like Christ. And without it, one is truly nothing, and SHALL fail!