Friday, March 2, 2012

DESPITE WHAT'S LURKING


A few days ago I asked someone whom I love how they were doing. I knew that she has had much on her plate. Her response was profound, "Me.. I am decidedly good..." What a statement!! And let me tell you, she could be decidedly doom and gloom with the worlds approval and justification in her life's situations. HOWEVER she has chosen to be decidedly good, no matter what. What beautiful faith and trust in God. Does that mean everything is sunshine and roses! NO way!

I was searching through my pictures to find one that would go with this awesome statement, and I came across a four-wheeling trip Treebs, mom, dad, Thanyermack and I took back in July last year. We went up past where we call "The Sacred Grove" and continued on the trail until we came to a dead end. It is a beautiful little place where one can look down on Scolfield. (That particular day we were racing against the storm.)

We stopped to take a group picture and as we were getting ready to pack up, I noticed these pretty blue flowers growing right under the barbwire fence. The symbolism of something so beautiful growing despite something that can cause a lot of pain was overwhelming and I had to capture the insight by camera! The sad part however, was that I was not in focus with the flowers up front, but rather on the sharpness of the the barwire.... so I have never used the picture. (And yes, there is a lesson all there in itself of what one chooses to focus on in life. The beauty or the brier!) It wasn't until last night when looking through my pictures that I caught how much more amazing this picture is to me NOW after President Uchtdorf's Forget Me Not talk from last Sept. BY GEORGE, I HAD TAKEN A PICTURE OF FORGET ME NOT FLOWERS!!!! (For a refresher of President Uchtdorf's brilliant talk, click here.)

Here these flowers were growing in a pretty unknown/forgotten place! And they were growing despite the wires [experiences/conditions/afflictions/pain/LIFE] that hung over their head! You can see how perfectly a little left from the middle/bottom of the picture there is a piece of wire that has been wound over and over. And close to these words, you can see the rusty wire inching from the side of the picture. But these Forget Me Not flowers were DECIDEDLY GOOD! Still choosing to "bloom where they were planted" regardless of what stretched/gloomed before them. What an attitude!  
What great faith it takes to live decidedly good!  

President Monson has reminded on occasion of the adage “When the time for decision arrives, the time for preparation is past.” And Barbara Thompson shared:
In the book Daughters in My Kingdom, we read about Sister Hedwig Biereichel, a woman in Germany who suffered much sorrow and deprivation during World War II. Because of her love and charitable nature, and even in her own great need, she willingly shared her food with starving prisoners of war. Later, when asked how she was able to “keep a testimony during all [those] trials,” she replied in effect, “I didn’t keep a testimony through those times—the testimony kept me.”
So I must decide right now, what will my attitude and heart be when the wires of life poke or threaten to barricade my way progress/growth... will I be decidedly good come what may and no matter what? Will I forsake my faith/hope/joy, or allow God's plan of "keeping me" even in the mist of a storm? ... when time for decision arrives, I will, like my wise friend, choose to live my life decidedly good! I choose to live my life decidedly happy, decidedly optimistic, decidedly faith-filled, decidedly rejoicing/trusting in Jesus Christ. Decidedly firm in my commitments to God... BECAUSE Jesus is the Christ and I am decidedly seeking to become like Him.