Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DETOURS AHEAD


This is a picture of my exit. They have been working on it for almost a year now. A few Sundays ago as I was making my way to the freeway, I hit a detour sign. I was in bit of a hurry so the sign brought a lot of irritation out. Normal detours are just moving over a lane or two, but this one actually took me on a small country road. No freeway entrance this time.

I was fully annoyed with the extra 3 1/2 mins it was going to take out of my time. My attitude didn't improve when the two cars in front of me seemed to be out for a little joy ride. But because of this unexpected detour, I found myself praising Heavenly Father for all the things that I had not noticed when passing by them on the freeway. I have lived here for 4 1/2 years almost and have never knew I had an opening to the Provo River 3 mins from my home! Or these big horn cows!

And of course I freaked with 2 red tale hawks. My irritation grew into gratitude. Gratitude for the forced detour.

So true to life. I may have my plans all figured out but often times that little detour sign comes up, placed by God's own hand, and my first thought may be to have irritation, but detours bring new things into our lives. Those pictures above are literally 50 to 100 feet away from the freeway. Just a frontage road. But I have never once noticed them because I was flying by on the freeway; my planned out path. Although it took longer to get to my destination, I was a kid in the candy store! I could not help pulling over (delaying my self even more) to take pictures. My smile was huge.

DETOURS CHANGE US
Never wanted to go on a mission, but the Lord put up that Detour sign


and my path has been paved with some of the most beautiful precious stones ever since.

Detour sign of joining the Deaf Ward (which I fought the prompting on because of fear) but that ward brought about the chain reaction, like the mission, of so many good people brought into my life. And the singles ward now that I belong too is a result of that detour into the Deaf Ward over four years ago. These are obviously big detours... but there are the small ones--the ones that come as promptings--that if followed take us on paths that usually end up having amazing amounts of beauty/depth added to our lives. Even while in the moment of the the new pothole detour, looking back there are flowers that bloom in every season.

For Mother's day I shared about a good couple that I met in the temple. Their daughter has cancer and quite a few large tumors on her brain.


I just ran into the dad yesterday. He told me how they flew to PA to have surgeon operate on their little girl's head because primary children's said there was no way they would preform the surgery for surely their daughter would not make it through. But the Lord was prompting them with the detour of a surgery.

In PA as they talked to the surgeon just days before the surgery was to take place this good couple became uneasy about the procedure. What to do on this detour that had taken them away from their other kids and family. Prayers were given and a week of every day fasting for direction for their daughter's life. They felt impressed to consult with a doctor in MD. Ward members (not knowing them from adam) heard of their stay in the PA hospital and came over to bring comfort and cheer. An opening was made to go to MD and have the surgery. One couple from the ward brought over plane tickets making a way to get to the hospital. - God provided a way!

The surgery was a success. The tumor is too big to fully remove but they hoped with what was removed, their daughter's head would stop hurting as much. After a month of being off work and away from his other kids, the dad flew back home just this past week. He was worried about his daughter and asked that his wife find someone to give her a blessing. (His wife has been sleeping in the hospital along side her daughter for over a month now.)

Back in 2003 my friend from the temple had a wonderful girlfriend that loved her very much. Her girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 and in 2005 she passed away. But before the friend passed she would always tell everyone in the temple to watch over my friend and to care for her. This past Sunday, two elders showed up in the MD hospital to give my friend's daughter a blessing. When one of the elders walked into the room he called my friend by her name. She was surprised to see the elder. It was her girlfriend's son. The girlfriend who had passed away nearly 5 years ago. My friend had no idea her friend's son was on a mission, let alone a mission in MD. He said, "My mom has sent me to you". And as a joyous reunion happened her daughter was given a blessing.

This Elder had not seen or kept tract of this family for almost 5 years. But his deceased mother who cared so much for my girlfriend, sent her son to give my friend and her daughter a blessing in their time of need.

All of this from a surgery detour.

Dictionary.com
DETOUR = a roundabout or circuitous way or course, esp. one used temporarily when the main route is closed.

When our Main route is closed, for whatever reason--may we remember to praise God as He walks us through the roundabout course. For there will surely be people to meet and unexpected beauty (whether through the process or the aftermath) to behold while going through our Detoured path.

To what I thought was the right plan for me, detours have become a part of THE plan! How thankful and grateful I am for the Detours God has sent me. They have helped shaped me into who I am today. And I would not go back and change any of the roads He has had me travel. He knows what is best. And I WILL obey.