Friday, October 2, 2009

HAPPY CONFERENCE EVE!!!!

Tonight as I was preparing my mind for conference tomorrow, I pulled out my conference note book. I always take notes at conference, but last year I was finally smart and made an official conference book! So now every conference my notes will be placed in the same place.

In April, we had Brytt and Jinger's family over to the condo. So much fun! Ireland was such a help in the kitchen for lunch. I could not get enough of little Brynnlee. At one point she was sitting on the carpet with her backed turned to the TV when the speaker said "the prophet" and Brynnlee excitedly looked up and said, "He said the prophet, the prophet!" Oh melt my heart! I Didn't even think she was paying attention.

Tonight as I opened my conference notes, I was moved by the things that had impressed me back in April. Pretty great stuff!! Here are a few of the things that I wrote down in my book.
*Our success is never measured by how strongly we are tempted but by how faithfully we respond. (1)

*...your situation is not beyond the reach of our Savior. (1)

*...the appetite to possess worldly things can only be overcome by turning to the Lord. (1)

*Prayer is the most common and powerful way to invite inspiration. (2)

*We need strong Christians who can persevere against hardship, who can sustain hope through tragedy, who can lift others by their example and their compassion, and who can consistently overcome temptations. We need strong Christians who can make important things happen by their faith and who can defend the truth of Jesus Christ against moral relativism and militant atheism. (3)

*Obedience gives us greater control over our lives... (3)

*In times of distress, let your covenants be paramount and let your obedience be exact. Then you can ask in faith, nothing wavering, according to your need, and God will answer. (3)

*He [Jesus Christ] could have known how to succor us simply by revelation, but He chose to learn by His own personal experience. (4)

*...the disciple who accepts a trial as an invitation to grow and therefore qualify for eternal life can find peace in the midst of the struggle. (4)

*Tragedy did not erode their faith; it tested it and strengthened it... (4)

*You don’t have to spend time as a Laman or a Lemuel in order to know that it’s much better to be a Nephi or a Jacob. (5)

*Choose to live by faith and not fear. (6)

*Faith requires an attitude of exact obedience, even in the small, simple things. (6)

*...our net usable faith is what we have left to exercise after we subtract our sources of doubt and disbelief. (6)

*Challenging times require greater spiritual power. (6)

*We should never complain, when we are living worthily... (7)

*Discipleship is a journey. (8)

*It is always the right time to walk in His way. It is never too late. (8)

*He is our hope; He is our salvation; He is the way. (8)

*The Lord shapes the back to bear the burden placed upon it. (9)

*...it is not by chance that we are who we are... (10)

*Laughter and a good sense of humor can soften the bumps along life’s journey. (11)

*You can’t be a life saver if you look like all the other swimmers on the beach. (12)

*Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. (13)

*...may we stand by Jesus Christ “at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,” (Mosiah 18:9) for surely that is how He stood by us... (13)

*Be of good cheer. The future is as bright as your faith. (9)

(1) Robert D. Hales
(2) Elder Allan F. Packer
(3) Elder D. Todd Christofferson
(4) President Henry B. Eyring
(5) Elder M. Russell Ballard
(6) Elder Kevin W. Pearson
(7) Elder Richard G. Scott
(8) President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
(9) President Thomas S. Monson
(10) Elder Neil L. Andersen
(11) Elder Steven E. Snow
(12) Elder Dallin H. Oaks -- Ardeth Greene Kapp
(13) Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Those are all the real quotes! But wow, what a bucket of treasures. And those are just some of the highlights! Going through my April list made me all the more excited for tomorrow and Sunday! I know the same council is given over and over--but amen! It doesn't hurt to be reminded and obviously I haven't gotten it right yet, or else something new would be shared. My heart has the most amazing love affair with conference weekend!! I am so thankful for Jesus Christ, my elder brother. I know He won't give up on me as I strive to be more exact in obedience. How I love Him!

Happy Conference weekend everyone!