Saturday, March 12, 2011

"ALLERGIC TO MEAN PEOPLE"

So Brytt and Jinger had a couple in their ward that just had their baby son die. He was four months old, the couples second child, and was about four months old. He died from sids. I knew that with Brytt being the EQ President, he was going to have a busier weekend, and it just worked out that I could take Ironman and Brynner-Bean up to the cabin for a little sleep over. Let me tell you--I have had an amazing weekend!

Yesterday as I was leaving work to go pick up the kiddos, I met a gal in the parking lot whom my company had just hired that week. Her name is Mel. In the short 10 mins that we were chatting she told me that she had just joined the church two years ago. She was in Idaho and walking towards a church and the missionaries stopped her. As she spoke of her conversion and her devotion to the gospel as a mother of five, I could not help be excited and I am sure she might have thought I was a bit odd for smiling as big as I was.

Mel told me that her son would be getting baptized today. She shared with me that when he was putting together the program he asked her to give the talk on the Holy Ghost. She said she was taken a little bit back by that and asked him if he didn't want one of his Auntie or Uncles to give the talk to which he responded, "Well I will pray about it mom, and then I will let you know." Well sure enough the next morning as they were getting ready for school Kobe said, "Mom I prayed about it, and you are to give the talk on the Holy Ghost". Oh if I could have been such a faith-filled eight year old!! Mel was honored and humbled at her son's determination/sure knowledge.

As Mel told me her story I felt I just had to be at the baptism. In my mind I wondered how I would be able to drive down from the canyon in time and if Ironman and Bean would be okay with going with me. I told her I wanted to come to the baptism to which she said she would love to have me. She was going to texted me the address.

I drove home curious how my next 16 hours were going to pan out.

Mom called as I got home. The roads were bad to the cabin, scariest she has ever experienced it. Dad thought his 4 wheel drive went out in the truck. The message, for the first time in a year, "Don't Come!".

I called Brytt and Jinger. Ironman decided to have a date night with his dad, but little Brynnlee was all about coming and over still. She came over and it was fingernail painting and the Broadway musical of Cinderella. Had I known that my plans were going to change, I would have had Kenzi and Afton come over for a big party too!

Brynner was so fun to watch as the musical came to the end and Cinderella finally got to hook up with the prince. She climbed all over my couch and put her hands over her mouth as she giggled with obvious approval that they finally got to be together. The best thing about being four is that you can act such a way and it is okay, because this 28 year old felt the same way inside! I however, might have some frowns had I climbed all over the couch and put my hand up to my mouth while giggling! ;)

I put Brynn down and in her prayers she said, "please bless bryndi and her running". I admit I almost opened my eyes at her words. Could she possibly know that her running (meaning jogging, because I really don't run) was a battle at the moment? I smiled at the thought that surely she had heard this prayed in her own home, and to know that my Brother and Sister-in-law have been praying to strengthen me in my goal, was/IS humbling. After prayer Bean was out like a light.

Six AM this morning I heard, "Doe a deer a female deer..." I crawled into her bed at 6:30 and listened to her talk the morning away. I pointed to a picture on the wall where the Savior is looking directly out and smiling. (One of the very few pictures that shows such a side of Christ, that I have found). I asked Bean who it was, and she said, "Jesus... (pause) Guess what, I love Heavenly Father and Jesus more than anyone else." The comment was so direct and matter of fact. To which I replied to her that I did too.

Then our morning of getting ready for the baptism was filled with, "Bryndi, you will get married this year, and when you do I think you should have a girl. You can name her after me." She made this comment several times and then said, IF I had a boy first I could name him Ireland, but if the girl came, she was sure the best thing to be would to name her Brynnlee. (Well at least I would have approval that she wouldn't be upset with someone else having her same name! ;)

We worked on a mini-scrap book that I had from my mission and she thought I told her it was a "scratch-book". So after drawing on the different pages, she said, "You know Aunt Bryndi, it is a Scratch book, so you have to scratch it." She turned the little book over and started scratching the paper with her nail. I had to contain my laughter and nod a very serious approval that I agreed.

I told Bean that I needed to put some clothes into the dryer for grandma, to which she replied, " We could do the laundry for grandma and that is called 'sneaky service'".

But my all time favorite comment at my kitchen table was "My mom is allergic to sugar. I am allergic to mean people. I think that is a good thing to be allergic too." I told her I was allergic to mean people too! oh crack me up.

We sat and waited for everyone to show up to the baptism. When Mel finally came in I recognized a heaviness on her heart. She looked a little dismal, with some deep burden. ???

Kobe's aunt gave a great talk on Baptism. She had him hold up two weights straight out and told him to keep his arms up. (I loved that the weights were pink so to hold Brynn's attention.) :) Kobe's arms started to fall a little and his Aunt talked about how the Savior will help him/us carry his/our burdens and the covenants that he/we make. She then had a few of his family members to come up to help him carry/keep his covenants. Awesome-Brilliant talk!

Kobe and his father went to go get in the water, and Mel motioned for me to come and sit next to her. She told me how she didn't have any family there, and just that morning she had called her family (In WY I believe) to tell them about her son's baptism, to which they responded that surely Mel was going to hell and ended the phone conversation. She was trying to hold back her emotions and I could tell she was trying to not feel hurt. I understood more fully why the Lord has had me go. I threw my arms around her and told her I was her family and she did have a sister there! I silently thanked God for allowing me to step into such a roll and for providing a way for me to be there.

Mel gave the talk on the Holy Ghost and it was sweet. I have never watched an eight year old soak up/keep eye contact with his mother so intently before. He soaked up every word she spoke. And frankly, we all did. The spirit was beautiful!

Back out to the car, as I was buckling Brynn in I asked her how she felt. She told me that she felt happy and that she had a warm feeling inside. I asked her if she knew where that feeling comes from. To which she replied she didn't know. I told her that she was feeling the holy Ghost and that Jesus was happy. I asked her if she believed that was true. She told me that she didn't know, but she hoped it was the Holy Ghost. To which I told her I knew it was.

I started to drive, and after five mins, she just started singing primary songs in my car, no request by me! Thank goodness for cell phones that record!

The whole morning/evening left me praising mothers who love and teach their little ones. And surely the fathers and other family members play their special parts... but like Julie B. Beck said, "Mothers who know"(!). I had been reminded to pray and ask the Lord, to love Heavenly Father and Jesus more than anything, sneaky service, be allergic to being mean, warm happy feelings--and more! When I dropped off brynn to her house we brought out parfaits for Ironman and Doogs to eat. Ironman finished and thanked me for the treat. Then he ran and nearly 10 mins later came back with this drawing of a heart because he said, "I drew it for you to thank you for the Parfait". His mother heard him/saw him do it and she was beaming with pride.

Seriously out of the mouths of babes! I stand all amazed!

Jinger filled me in on the funeral. She said that the couple was so strong. The father shared some sacred experiences of the assurances they had received from God that their son's earth life was finished and that him leaving after only four short months was part of the Grand plan. The morning the baby died, both husband and wife, that night, went to the temple together. Oh the strength and example set. Oh the lesson passed on.

My heart is just filled. So beautiful! Has my last 24 hours been!

I understand more clearly why we are told to become as little children--or else no kingdom of God.

Just shots from my phone, but put to Brynnlee's amazingly inspired/spontaneous singing in my car. Well, not too spontaneous, for surely the soul wants to sing when it has been lifted by the spirit as ours had been!


PS!! Okay... just a happy note, but three weeks away will be general conference! Oh such a time to be alive! I CAN'T wait!!

The Church is True! Christ is the Redeemer! My Redeemer... !!