Friday, May 8, 2009

THE WORLD IS FULL OF FISHERS


I was driving to work this week and noticed a hawk circling an area over and over again. *Note, if you are watching a bird fly make sure you pull off the road before you decide to go into park! Cars will be much happier with you if you do this first.

I found the place the hawk was circling. I jumped out of my car and walked over to hide my bright red shirt under the covering of the trees. 5-6 more circles this hawk made swooping right above this little area of water. Here is the picture of the Hawk, can you see it? If not, here is a zoom in on the picture... see it now?!

I wondered why this hawk would be circling so precisely--and then I looked into the water. TONS of fish were making their way through the murky water. (Do hawks eat big fish?! I don't know! It seemed crazy for this field hawk to try for such a large fish, but still the Hawk dangerously circled.) I moved little closer to the fish, and the hawk must have spotted my red shirt because it flew away.

I then had 10 mins to just study the movements of all the fish. The water level was quite low. Every movement the fish made, I was able to see it move or a result of its movement-muddy puff clouds appearing.

They are just carp--you may say. Dirty, bottom feeders, oily meat--they are only good for catching cat fish my Dad tells me... and yet I was intrigued by their movement.

This week my heart has been touched by the fishers of men the Lord has brought into my life/view sight. Just the other day, a women was on the side of the road with a busted tier. As I drove past, I noticed a cop in his undercover cop car, stop and help take over her load. I played with a nephew who had a cardboard outfit on representing "Buzz light year". His Dad had taken the time to make him such a stylish suit! This little boy looked at me and said, "To infinity and beyond! Choose the Right"! What great mother took the time to instill such a simple truth-choose the right!? (A "fisher" mom, that's who!)

I talked with another nephew, 12 years old, he told me sometimes he has bad thoughts that just pop into his head... but on this particular day, he had prayed in the morning to have a good day and asked for the Lord's help. He said, "Bryndi, you know what? Some of those bad thoughts popped in my head today, but I immediately thought of a scripture and they didn't stay any longer." Oh to the parents of that little fish!

I have witnessed the kindness of a mother and her children, allowing to sacrifice some of their Daddy time, so he [the Daddy] could go help his sister and brother-in-law finish a basement room that was in need of some TLC remodeling.

I was called just this morning by a friend who wanted to drop off a mango to me at work, because she saw it in a Mexican store and knew it was a favorite treat of mine.

I have seen a girl love her family member, even when this family member gave her a black eye.

I saw a temple full of 19 ward members on ward temple night--putting forth their faith to accomplish a goal set by their bishopric.

I have seen fasting for loved ones, great time spent in the kitchen cooking a yummy meal.

I have seen garbage cans brought to the garages of the owners when the trash has come by.

I have seen sisters crying/praying over those they visit/have charge for.

I have seen friends have faith to ask God for help.

I HAVE SEEN GREAT FISHERS among men!

Oh to the mothers and fathers that raise their children to God! Oh to the person who helps the stranded person on the side of the road. Oh to the deacon president who after hearing the messages at Priesthood...went out that very week and brought his "brothers" back to church. Oh to the uncle who helps a clogged toilet, oh to the friend who is always there to listen, oh to the worthy priesthood holders who are always willing to give a blessing, oh to the one who sits/stays by the side of a widow, oh to the mother that waits up until after midnight just to make sure her child made it safely home, oh to the one that wakes up at 6:00Am on a Saturdays just to help a friend learn how to run, oh to the Dad that takes care of the kids on the weekend mornings just so his wife can get a few more winks in, oh to the nurse that goes the extra mile to make sure her patient is as comfortable as possible, oh to the teacher that prepares a great less--even for just one, oh to the parents who pray for their addicted son, oh for the 80 year old man that still takes his wife lovingly by the hand.... What great fishers we have among us!!

We may feel like we are just fishers in the sea of life. Same old tasks, day in and day out, not feeling we can amount to become anything great. But like that circling hawk wanting to catch something much greater then itself (in size) we too can becoming something greater then we are right now! The Lord can make us fishers--among His men!!