Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"WATER, I NEED WATER"

Last night was such a special night in the temple. Every time I go I love it, but tonight was consuming, (in a good way.) Stake conference is this weekend and the whole stake presidency joined our ward temple night. I was filled with admiration and spilling love. As I looked around the endowment room there were many faces from our stake. My heart was full as I thought about the chance to enter into God's presence with such wonderful people-my brothers and sisters in the gospel. I longed for all my friends, family and my ward to be with me. We all need the temple in our life.

A woman got out of her seat and mumbled that she needed something. I couldn't quite make out what she said, but I noticed how awful she looked. She was white and she could barely stay standing. I thought she might pass out. Sweet Sister Born took her out and I heard the woman say, "Water, I need water". Sister Born offered her juice (I am sure because of how completely off this woman looked.) She just kept saying, "No, I just need water, I need water".

Within 5 mins the sister came back with a little glass of water. She sat down. And like my friend from a few days ago, it was a complete night and day change. This woman was revived! The color was back in her face and she was not wobbly on her feet.

This woman knew what she needed - water.

One of my favorite stories in the New testament - okay so I have lots, but on my "lots" list--I have listed is John 5:

2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.

4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.

6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

9 And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

This picture hangs in my room. It is the one art piece that I have spent actual money on getting framed! It is one of my most favorite paintings.
Impotent means = lacking bodily strength or physically helpless, no power (dictionary.com). An angel troubled the water so that whenever the water would move, the first person in the water was healed of whatever infirmity they had.

One man sat by the edge of the pool for 38 years. When the Savior, who knew how long the man had been waiting by the pool, came over him, He asked the man how 'Wilt though be made whole'. The man then told him his story of having no one to help him into the pool. Jesus tells him to rise and take up his bed and walk. (I love the fact that he does this on the Sabbath! Great insight to what our Sabbath days should be filled with--HEALING! How can we know how long someone has been in their condition if we are not visiting/going to where they are. Oh, too good! I will have to leave this awesome Sabbath example for anther day.:))

If you will look closely at this picture, what do you notice about the water?
It is like a sheet, no ripples at all. I had a wise teacher point out WHO is Christ?--He is the Living Water. Ask yourself then: How often is Christ's water moving?

Always!

!!!

This man waited by the pool for 38 years. How long do I wade through my afflictions/infirmities -- waiting for the moving of the water, when really I just need to go to the true source!

In a different view, maybe we are called to bare a curtain situation/trial burden for a longer period of time then we would like. This man's trial was 38 years long. There are folks in the scriptures with similar stories. The woman in Matt had an "issue of blood" for 12 years! Sometimes our Gethsemane can last for years.

I have a dear friend, whom I love, that has Lupus. Among the physical trials of this disease--recently his kidneys have threatened to fail. One evening as he laid on his couch he wondered how he could go on. He was ill, and felt he might even die. Following a prompting, he was led to read this quote:

“I recognize that, on occasion, some of our most fervent prayers may seem to go unanswered. We wonder, ‘Why?’ I know that feeling! I know the fears and tears of such moments. But I also know that our prayers are never ignored. Our faith is never unappreciated. I know that an all-wise Heavenly Father’s perspective is much broader than is ours. While we know of our mortal problems and pain, He knows of our immortal progress and potential. If we pray to know His will and submit ourselves to it with patience and courage, heavenly healing can take place in His own way and time.”

-Russell M. Nelson, “Jesus Christ—the Master Healer”


Very ill and not knowing if he could make it, his home teachers came over and gave him a blessing. He still doesn't know what the outcome will be, but if you talked to him, you would never know how much he suffers--for gladness and trust in God is all that he will let escape his mouth. I was deeply moved after hearing his courage and his optimism in God's plan for him--even in the mist of his suffering.

In whatever we are called to bare-may we keep the faith as we "bare" it for however long.

Or maybe we are not waiting by the water at all, but someone round us/near us is! Am I helping them to Christ? Am I sensitive to the infirmity they have?

We are all impotent to an extent! = lacking bodily strength or physically helpless, no power. We all need "water"!

So it is for our life. Christ is our water source: He is the Living Water! The water which if we partake of, we shall have eternal life! His water is ever lasting and always renewing. He is the one true reviver, He can satisfy our thirst and bring "life" into our lives! He can satisfy our wants, He can sooth the waves of our sorrow, He can calm the storms of contention and He can cause us to walk-on/get through impossible venues, even the ones that seem to last forever. He is the one true fount! His water is healing.

...every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters. (Isa. 55: 1 (2 Ne. 9: 50)
...they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters. (Jer. 2: 13)
...asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. (John 4: 10)
...any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (John 7: 37)
...lead them unto living fountains of waters. (Rev. 7: 17)
...I will give unto him . . . of the water of life freely. (Rev. 21: 6)
...fountain of living waters, or . . . the love of God. (1 Ne. 11: 25)
...partake of the waters of life freely. (D&C 10: 66)
...same shall be in him a well of living water. (D&C 63: 23)

He can cause us to BE WHOLE. Now whether we are made whole from an actual physical infirmity or made whole from:

bad habits
addictions
depression
sadness
lusts
vices
anger
rudeness
doubt
despair
misery
grief
judgment
bad thoughts
unbridled tongue

...whatever it is-His water is always moving. . .He is always healing.

Back to the woman in the temple. All she had/wanted was water, and when she drank, the color came back into her cheeks and her physical body came back into order. The effect of the water was immediate! When offered juice, she knew it would not satisfy. She knew the source she needed to drink from and she did drink--and was made whole.

So it is for me! I know what "true" source will satisfy.


"Water, I need water" = LIVING WATER! :D