Saturday, December 12, 2009

Peace vs. peace

This morning, after going to bed quite late, Heavenly Father was kind enough to help me roll out of bed at 6 so I could go walking. 3 new inches of snow covered the ground. I walked around the condos with general conference in my ears and deep gratitude in my heart. I love the gospel! I love that I have the gospel. I love that my parents taught me the gospel--sometimes I am sure it felt as thought it were in vain. I love that I have a personal Savior, who died for all men including me and would have just atoned even if it was only for me. It was a beautiful morning in the dark, half moon, lit sky.

As I knelt down to say my morning prayers I felt to sing a song to help me have the spirit. Without thought of what song to sing, out loud on my knees I started singing Hymn 207, It Came upon the Midnight Clear. I admit I did not know all the words, but found myself singing "Peace on the earth, good will to men". At the moment I sang "Peace" my mind brought to view of a baby in a manger. I could not finish singing as the magnitude of the word struck chords in my heart. I have always thought of peace on earth as kindness, love, no hated or contention--which that is part of peace, but the impression upon my mind was that the angles were singing Jesus Christ was on the earth. Peace is the Savior! And now as I read the rest of the sentence it has always been there, but I have never registered the meaning - "Peace on the earth, good will to men from heaven's all-gracious King." Peace, like Savior, Redeemer, Morning Star, Breath of Heaven, Messiah, Captain, Gardner, Lord, Master--is just another name the scriptures and angels call the Savior. He is the Prince of Peace-our Heavenly King all-gracious sent His Son, "Peace". I am sure everyone else has caught this meaning before, but this is news to my mind and heart today!

Peace was placed in a manger. Peace, taught in the temple. Peace healed the lepers. Peace came upon the waters and calmed the sea. Peace left men to ponder. Peace healed the brokenhearted.

As I finished my prayer I came to my desk to finish my study in Alma 7. And there in the last verse of the chapter we are told how one can have "Peace"/"peace".
And now, may the peace of God rest upon you, and upon your houses and lands, and upon your flocks and herds, and all that you possess, your women and your children, according to your faith and good works, from this time forth and forever. And thus I have spoken. Amen.
According to your faith and good works!

The Savior can be ever present in our lives, all we possess can have both "Peace" touch it, prosper it, heal it. That brings "peace" and "Peace"! To always abound in good works in verse 24 we are told we have to have faith, hope, and charity, THEN we will always abound in good works. And with faith and good works the peace of God comes.

If I have the prince = "Peace" in me or resting upon me, surely my heart can calm contentions. Surely I will have the spirit to keep clinging to the iron road. Surely I will give more benefit of doubts instead of jumping to unfair judgments/thoughts, surely I will focus more perfectly on the good in others rather then their struggles.

Peace was born on the earth the angles declared. And He still is and can be in our hearts and in our actions. Peace died upon a cross and conquered death.

May my faith and good works--brings Peace, Jesus Christ.