Friday, June 4, 2010

PEDAL


I had texted a friend asking what his favorite cookies were to which he replied chocolate chip. So I rushed home from work to make the cookies. I decided to make two batches. In the mean time, I managed to burn over cook (even with only 8 mins in the oven) 4 pans of cookies!

Saving grace at my door---! It was Ali and her sweet sister-in-law Shelly. They had just finished a 40 mile bike ride! (I know! What amazing women!) I showed them the burned cookies and told them that the cookies represented how my day went. ;) Pretty much true.

Seeing Ali was sweet! And her sister-in-law said that when I opened the door she though how beautiful I was was. Okay Ali, she is a keeper! ;) I was deeply touched by her comment. And she had no idea of the day it had been.

Finished the cookies and ran out the Door.

Davey was home and we talked about the gospel. On Sunday felt to show Davey Either 12:6. He stayed for all of church and after church we went outside and talked about being baptized. What an amazing kid.

Well, Wed night the missionaries went to his house, and he told them he chose the date is the June 27 at 5 pm to be baptized! Davey then went on to tell me the journey God had taken him on.

Here are some little "happenings" from God to get him to this point. (He is, FYI, on fire!)

Grew up in Utah.
Got bullied (bullies happened to be not members not living standards.)
Sour taste of the church--didn't want anything to do with it.
Into drugs and alcohol
Girlfriend got pregnant, he wanted to be involved in the baby's life.
Girlfriend needed to push him away.
Didn't see his daughter for 3 months
In the mean time--new years resolution, no more drinking or drugs. (He has been clean ever since.)
Thought, "Why go to a Shrink, when I really just need God".
Read the Book of Mormon.
After he finished reading the Book of Mormon gave a copy to his friend to read..
Started going to church.
Met a righteous girl at the same time, that gave a great testimony/support.
Met other BYU students and thought how is that people in this church can be so cool.
Figured the bullies from growing up were NOT good representatives of the LDS faith.
Last Sunday missionaries asked him to set a date.
He told them he would sent a goal to set a goal.
Wed, they came over, and he gave them June 27th.
The missionaries taught him about tithing. His impression with it was that he had spent a whole lot more than 10% on substances that he thought were bringing him happiness... NOW he has 10% that if he gives to god will bring real happiness. The spirit worked in his mind and in his heart to bring such a beautiful conclusion that paying tithing is such a better deal.

--

Seriously, this kid is deep. I am in shock with how much he comprehends and the impressions he has already had. He has completely submitted himself to God's will.

I was able to meet his cool roommates. What choice people too!

Davey made the comment that the lesson on Sunday was on missionary work, and how he, not being a member yet, is already doing missionary work. To which I smiled and agreed with his conclusion.

God can change anyone. The beautiful thing is that He will not force them to be changed, but He will lovingly coach them and guide them along. And if they are open for it, He will make their Journey sweet and filled with real happiness. Lasting happiness.

It is a honor to know Davey! Knowing him makes me want to be better!

God can do anything with us! Anything! We just have to be willing to be like this cool story--

Quoted in a talk given by Erin D. Maughan Aug 4, 2009 "Be Still and Know God"

The Bike Ride

At first I saw God as an observer, like my judge, keeping track of things I did wrong. This way, God would know whether I merited heaven or hell when I died. He was always out there, sort of like the President. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I didn’t really know Him at all.

But later on, when I recognized my higher power better, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride, on a tandem bike, and I noticed God was in the back helping me pedal.

I don’t know when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has not been the same since. . . .

When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring but predictable. It was always the shortest distance between the points.

But when He took the lead, He knew delightful cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places and at breakneck speeds; it was all I could do to hang on! Even though it looked like madness, He [said], “Pedal!”

I worried and became anxious, asking, “Where are you taking me?” He just laughed and didn’t answer, and I found myself starting to trust. I soon forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure, and when I’d say, “I’m scared,” He’d lean back and touch my hand.

He took me to people with gifts that I needed; gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey. Our journey, that is, God’s and mine.

And we were off again. He said, “Give the gifts away, they’re extra baggage, too much weight.” So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light.

I did not trust Him at first, in control of my life. I thought He’d wreck it. But He knew bike secrets, knew how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear places filled with rocks, fly to shorten scary passages.

And I’m learning to [be quiet] and pedal in the strangest places, and I’m beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful constant companion, my higher power.
And when I’m sure I can’t go on anymore, He just smiles and says, “Pedal . . .” [Author unknown, “The Bike Ride,” A 2nd Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul: 101 More Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Deerfield Beach, Florida: Health Communications, 1995), 311–12; emphasis in original]
I do not want to sound sacrileges--Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are my heros! We serve an awesome GODS!!! (Meaning God the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ.)

All things are possible to him that believeth. (Mark 9:23)