Wednesday, July 14, 2010

FIVE YEARS AGO

Five years ago today, I was nervously waiting in the airport with 3 or 4 other elders to fly back to Utah.

Shortly after my mission had started, Elder Christensen came out to a zone conference and talked about setting a date of faith. He talked about the only time he was going to meet someone new was to pray and ask the Lord to prepare whoever would sit next to him on the plane as he flew to Hawaii. He and his wife both fasted every week for months, pleading with the Lord to prepare the person on the airplane. Finally the day of his trip came. He sat in his plane seat anticipating who would sit next to him. Down the isle came this man... Hawaiian shirt, chains, very "open" with his shirt. Elder Christensen somewhat rolled his eyes and thought there was no way this man would be up for a gospel conversation. The other man sat down next to him and proceeded to tell Elder Christensen about all the women he was going to see and what he was going to do with them. Elder Christensen went back to reading his paper, but the spirit prompted.

Soon, they were deep in conversation about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the fact that God had a plan for this man. The man had never heard these truths before, but admitted to Elder Christensen that for several months his soul had been stirring for truth, and he had no idea where it was coming from.

The two men exchanged information and Elder Christensen told the man he would like to have him over with his family and the missionaries when the business trip was over. To which the man replied--well don't you have missionaries in Hawaii?

!!

I heard the talk, and my heart was overwhelmed by the truths of praying and fasting for a time when the Lord will prepare someone to hear the gospel. From that point in my mission, I decided that I could start fasting and praying for the day I would fly home and for whom ever would sit next to me on the plane. I did this for nearly 7 or 8 months, never missing a week. But about 4 to 5 months before finishing the mission it dawned on me, I would be going home with elders and they would be the ones I would be sitting by--so after a good chuck of my mission of fasting and praying for the flight home, I stopped, thinking I wasn't about to be testifying to the elders.

July 14th 2005 found me in the Newark Airport. And as we waited to board the plane to come home--I asked the Elders what their seat numbers were. I think now, there were three of them and one of me. One by one they read off their seat number. All three of them were sitting by each other. When I looked at my number I was randomly several rows away and on the other side of plane. I thought that was odd--but then all at once my mind was flooded with all the praying and fasting I had offered up for whom I would sit next to on the plane. !! My heart started to race and my hands became sweaty. I had honestly thought I would be sitting by elders and that is why I stopped praying.

Well, the first flight, the sweet man next to me asked question after question about the church. He was a truck driver and loved his wife dearly. Missionaries later came to his house and for a time he investigated. I do not know what has happened to him since. The elders on the plane kept looking back and saw my napkin drawing of the plan of salvation. The next plane, because we were headed to Utah I figured there would be a lot of smiles with people knowing who we were.

I was one of the very last people to board. And as I walked down the isle pondering if the person (yes I was not linked by the elders again) would be a member. I saw a younger in his early 30's man sitting next to the only open spot on the plane, my seat. He smiled as he looked at my name tag.

He was not a member but his wife was--although not practicing. They had just had a conversation that week that it was either his parents faith or his wife's parents faith of "Mormons". He had always been apposed by going, but he and his wife just discussed that they needed to find what was best and true for their future family. We talked all the way back to Utah and 4 lessons were taught. The spirit was sweet.

We got off the plane and before the elders and I went to go find our waiting families, two elders ran to find someone sitting waiting for their flight to give one last pass along card. ;) I smiled.

I have no idea whatever came of these two men, but this I do know, that their hearts had been prepared by God.

So sweet and tender are the feelings of the mission. Choice companions, Sr. Missionary couples that became literal family, choice people I met committed to keeping the commandments of God, lessons learned from a mission president and wife that have shaped my life, and then probably the biggest miracle of all... my heart.

5 Years ago today, I came home to a family prepared for ME. A family whom I love with all my heart.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's true church on the earth. With apostles, prophets, revelation, priesthood and authority from God. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. It is another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that Joseph Smith prayed in a grove of trees and because of confusion, had faith enough to ask God our father which church to join. In answer to his prayer God the Father and Jesus Christ, God's son, appeared to Joseph Smith. Called him by name and reveled that at that time, there was no true and living church of God on the earth. But God loves his children, all of us, and he prepared a way for us to not walk in darkness, but to know about Him and His plan for us.

I know surely as I know I am able to breath and walk and talk--that God and Jesus Christ live! And one of my favorite truths is that God allows anyone to know for them selves--the truth. We never need take someone at their word alone, but can, through sincere prayer to God our father, ask to find the truth, ending our prayer with Jesus Christs name--I KNOW God answers prayers.

There is joy to be had in this life. Not just the life to come. And God, who knows every sparrow, certainly knows our lives and what to do to send us peace and happiness. His plan of happiness involved sacrificing his only begotten son, Jesus Christ (whom I love) to show us the way, to know our burdens, that He might make them light. He lived, died and lives again for us! Because of Love. He is Love. “Come unto Me” By Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
In the 11th chapter of Matthew, verses 28–30, the Savior says: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” [Matt. 11:28–30]

This is my basic message to each of you, wherever you live, whatever your joys or sorrows, however young or old you may be, at whatever point you may find yourself in this mortal journey of ours. Some of you are where you want to be or you know where you want to go with your lives, and some of you don’t. Some of you seem to have so many blessings and so many wonderful choices ahead of you. Others of you feel, for a time and for whatever reason, less fortunate and with fewer attractive paths lying immediately ahead.

But whoever you are and wherever you find yourself as you seek your way in life, I offer you “the way … and the life” (John 14:6). Wherever else you think you may be going, I ask you to “come unto him” as the imperative first step in getting there, in finding your individual happiness and strength and success.

When two of Christ’s disciples first heard him speak, they were so moved, so spellbound, that they followed him as he left the crowd. Sensing that he was being pursued, Christ turned and asked the two men, “What seek ye?” (John 1:38). Other translations render that simply, “What do you want?”

They answered, “Where dwellest thou?” or “Where do you live?”

And Christ said, “Come and see” (John 1:39). Just a short time later he formally called Peter and others of the new Apostles with the same spirit of invitation, “Come ye after me” (Mark 1:17).

It seems to me that the essence of our lives is distilled down to these two brief elements in these opening scenes of the Savior’s mortal ministry. One element is the question to every one of us, “What seek ye? What do you want?” The second is his answer as to how to get that. Whoever we are and whatever our problems, his response is always the same, forever: “Come unto me.” Come see what I do and how I spend my time. Learn of me, follow me, and in the process I will give you answers to your prayers and rest to your souls.

Beloved friends, I know of no other way for you to succeed or to be happy or to be safe. I know of no other way for you to be able to carry your burdens or find what Jacob called “that happiness which is prepared for the saints” (2 Ne. 9:43). That is why we make solemn covenants based on Christ’s atoning sacrifice, and that is why we take upon us his name. In as many ways as possible, both figuratively and literally, we try to take upon us his identity. We seek out his teachings and retell his miracles. We send latter-day witnesses, including prophets, apostles, and missionaries, around the world to declare his message. We call ourselves his children, and we testify that he is the only source of eternal life. We plead for him to swing open the gates of heaven in our behalf, and we trust everlastingly that he will, based upon our faithfulness.


My heart is full today.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true! I know it, for I have prayed myself and asked.