Tuesday, August 3, 2010

TO THE RESCUE!!!!


So yes I am a bit slow in my challange to finish the Book of Mormon in a few weeks, but I will get there! Early, early to rise it has been! :)

Mosiah 21:5 was very touching to me tonight.
And now the afflictions of the Nephites were great, and there was no way that they could deliver themselves out of their hands, for the Lamanites had surrounded them on every side.
Their afflictions were brought on because of their iniquities. King Noah setting a bad example, killed the prophet Abinadi, and allowed his people (with great encouragement by his own example) to have/live iniquities. Later when King Noah is killed in fulfillment of Abinadi's words... the people start to repent. But their prior choices have led them to be surrounded on every side,.

How often do the choices I make (if following my own carnal desires/natural man) lead me to a place where I can not deliver myself, there is no possible way and that the temptation/burden/enemy/has surrounded me on all sides?? This is a plead for VISITING/HOME Teachers if I have ever heard one!

Limhi's people, who were now striving to be a God fearing/loving people, because of past choices could not deliver themselves. But how sweet and kind our loving Heavenly Father has set up a trumpet and perches faithful home and visiting teachers who can sound a warning/guidance through an ensign message, who can be on the look out for danger to come, or perhaps are sent at the time that someone is in need of delivering, who cannot deliver themselves!! What a beautiful/profound, true scripture.

Now lest someone read this and think I am an AMAZING visiting teacher, I tell you I have had my fair share of sleeping on the trumpet of that duty. But I do believe in what home and visiting teaching can do.

Along with being delivered the other reminder came to my mind--is that we ALL are in need of the Savior. For we all at times are surrounded every side, no way to deliver ourselves. How we may try, if we do it alone--and that's just it--we can't do it alone. As hard as we try we can never do this life alone. We can't be delivered from our appetites and passions, we can't be delivered from death, from hell, from temptations without the Savior! And sometimes he sends us our deliverers in the form of a home teacher and visiting teacher. May we be so blessed to be on that errand.

There is NO WAY without Jesus Christ. (Thank goodness he has provided a Way through the atonement. We can be released from the jaws of hell and the awful monsters that threaten to destroy. A little mellow dramatic? To anyone who has ever felt there is no way out, no way for deliverance because one is surrounded on every side--any form of the Savior whether through a scripture, a song, a home/visiting teacher, a kind act...someone doing something for you that you can not do--is truly a tender mercy from God.

To the Rescue my God will come! And may I be worthy to be sent to the rescue if he so would have me.