Saturday, October 27, 2012

WHICH IS BETTER, SUNRISE OR SUNSET? MAGIC HAPPENS IN THE MORNING!



   Today was Andrea's sister Kira's funeral. Andrea (left) loved her sister Kira. I had the blessing of meeting Kira several times. Huge smile, larger than life smile in fact!
   Sweet Kira has been battling cancer and was relieved of her physical body ailments this past Monday morning. She was just 33.
   Her funeral was simply beauitful, the spirit was overwhelming.
   Andrea's brother shared the scripture of how we love Christ because He first loved us and how he felt that people loved Kira because she first loved them. Can one leave this mortal life with a higher complement than of that?!
   Two things that Andrea shared about Kira really touched me. Andrea asked Kira which was better, sunrise or sunset. Andrea shared how of course a sunset was better with all the colors that go with it--and how sunsets certainly trump. Kira wisely stated that a Sunrise was her favorite... because it takes more effort to enjoy it. What a true statement!

   I pondered over my "sunrise" moments... and was sweetly reminded what each moment meant for/to me.
 Here are just a few that have been tender to me. 

 Mexico--a sunrise with just me and what sounded like 100's of birds signing crazily in the trees.  It was unlike any moment I have ever had with birds in the morning. It was wonderful!

 Sitting on the pier all by myself with my scriptures in hand. I had opened right to the spot in The Book of Mormon and read earlier that God was aware of all of His people in whatever land they may be in. At the time I was out of the country and feeling quite alone... but the scripture brought tears to my eyes. God knew exactly where I was, and was mindful of me.


 A moment when on a morning walk when I had the reassurance that God's plan would still unfold in my life, despite all my imperfections and weaknesses.



Notice the mountains. The whole valley was covered in shadows but as the sun came out the distant mountain peaks danced in sunlight, lifting the mists of darkness (literally) from the morning. You can see how the sun is just starting to touch the peak in the right mountain in this picture. Steam was arising from from the reflection pool.... And I watched as the valley fully became flooded with sunlight.


This wasn't the morning that it happened, but it is a morning that is symbolic of what I prayed for. In learning to Jog, God sent me a morning dense ground fog. I could see only 10 feet in front of me but when I looked directly up I could see the sky and stars. God sent that type of day to me two days in a row. As a result I was able to distract myself because I could not see the distance and keep jogging just 10 feet at a time... which resulted in 20 mins of jogging which in 6 weeks of working at it, I had not been able to do yet. Miracle!



A sunrise in WY with Chick and Mia along the river front. It was magical and I loved the time being with my sister. I walked in awh and gratitude at the friendship the Lord allowed Nyk and I to have. One that we both worked to have, and cherish what we now have.


 Cold sunrise in Scolfield, but I had enough stamina to get up the big hills around mom and dad's place. That was a miracle in itself.


 Sunrise, on a swing, reading about the Savior. Just me, the birds, and the light.


 Thayne and I took a red-eye to Florida to meet up with mom and dad. This morning flight was the result of the first part of this (click here) old blog post. After that conversation, and I believe a change in planes, this was the first view of the sunrise above the clouds.


 And just a few weeks ago at mom and dad's place...
I bundled up in the very, very cold morning. I went out before the sun had risen. I was trying to study, but was distracted by the awh with how the morning light was intensifying the golden leaves. I noted dense frost on the top of the cabin, and smiled at how the frost melted away with the morning light .... causing an awesome amount of dripping to occure.

I pondered and was reminded how sometimes I let parts of my life become cold and frost "bitten"... and how all I need is the "Son'slight = SONrise, to melt away anything that I have allowed to become cold or "hard" in my life... in my heart.

   All different mornings, but each symbolic and/or filled with moments of quite, pondering. I too, love sunrises!

   Andrea shared a little of how Kira's personality was. They both lived together up in an apartment in SLC. She said there were bushes outside their apartment windows and some annoying bird would be doing it's thing early in the morning. Andrea did not vocalize her annoyance with the bird but became more and more annoyed at it.

   One time when the two of them were visiting with their parents, they were asked how their mornings were at their apartment. Before Andrea could answer--Kira piped up that they had bushes right outside their windows and every morning she loved to hear the song of a particular bird that lived there. Andrea thought no way could this be the same bird! But sure enough it was. :)
   How can something be so annoying to one and so joyous to another--and be the exact same thing?! PERSPECTIVE!!! Guess that is how the gospel is. Glass half full, or half empty. Church a time to worship God, or a three hour block to survive.

   I left the funeral deeply inspired and determined to live my life more fully. To live/work for the sunrises of my life and not just the sunsets. And to be decidedly positive rather than annoyed. Thank you Kira Staiger for your beautiful legacy! You truly loved God and lived a life centered in your testimony of Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the knowledge that because of Jesus Christ, this life is not the end to our existence. Families can be together forever, through Heavenly Father's plan! Thank you Andrea for loving your sister so deeply! Her legacy will live on! Listen for those morning birds. Surely they will sing a sing just for you, from her.
  
For so many personal reasons, I am grateful
God allows us to experience things (even if hard) that remind us
just how good/just/loving He is and just how
perfect His plans/ways are for me.

My I live to serve Him.

Jesus is the Christ.