Sunday, October 9, 2011

GOD WON'T YOU CHANGE HIM?

I recently came back from a wonderful trip from Florida. Mom and Dad spoiled Thayne and I with some park hoping adventures. It was wonderful! Saw a few miracles, LOVED the beauty, and wished that others sweating standing in line believed in the the power of deodorant! :D

Thank you mom and dad for a much needed vacation!

RACE CAR DRIVER
Thaynermack and I took a red eye out to Florida, hoping to get one extra day there in which we could go to the temple.

Nearing almost 1am, an announcement came on that the plane was over booked and they were looking for volunteers to leave in the morning instead. Which the airlines would provide a 400 dollar voucher, food, and a hotel room along with the morning flight out. Thayne and I didn't "need" to be in Florida, so we hopped up and walked over to the counter. I got excited about having a ticket "paid" for so I could go out and visit Kiss and Nyk sometime.

Just as we were about to be the ones putting our names on the list, I had the slightest of all impressions, that we should not do it. I told Thayne that I didn't think we should go and he asked if I didn't feel good about it. I told him the "small" (and when I say small, it was almost unnoticeable) impression, he being the amazing kid he is, said no problem, let's go sit down. So we left the grand opportunity and I wrote it off that God probably was saving me from anxiety of making sure everything went smooth the next day.

We boarded the plane and prepared our blankets and neck pillows for the long into the morning hour flight.

The guy sitting next to the window came and sat down and he seemed to be a nice guy. As the flight departures were being rapped up he and I had some small talk. He was in Utah on business. Turns out he is a stunt race car driver. Only about 200 in the USA with his profession. His line of work involves commercials and movies. He just signed on with the new Charlie's Angels TV serious. He (ha, he does have a name- Mark) Mark showed me one of the scripts for the Charlie's Angels-- talked about how car A is going 200 miles per hour, hits car B which rolls several times, and car A is to spin out of control ... etc. I looked at Mark and asked him if he really was going to do that. Without a wince, and matter of fact-- he said "Ya". He said he knew what to do to make the car roll and flip in any direction. He said high speed chases for film were a piece of cake! NO problem and he felt completely confident that whatever the direction the director wanted to have happened, he COULD make happen. (Yes, if you are picturing a girl in the middle seat with her jaw slightly dropped, next to the calm collective race car driver--you have pictured the airplane scene correctly!)

His gig in UT was near Tooele at a race car track there. For 8 hours a day his contract was such that people would pay 150 dollars per ride... that is, sit and go in a race car for 3 mins! He said he was doing that all week. Where do people get money like that to spend on 3 mins of time?!

Well needless to say I was sitting by "Mr Hotstuff". But the whole time while speaking, the guy, who is clearly "well off" was very chill, calm, and had a great peace about it. I felt impressed to ask about his family. He married around his 40's and has three little girls. And at the talk of them, this already kind and soft hearted man, became even more soft. His love for his little girls was evident.

The next three hours we talked about the gospel. Apparently 20 years ago Mark had gone to visit a ward and all he could remember was that the women and the men separated. We talked about prophets and General conference coming up the next weekend. After sharing a principle on the temple Mark said, "So if I understand, your church has a great emphasis in your dead. I don't think my church does that." At times I wondered if he may be "sleeping" through the conversation, but sure enough the spirit urged me to share on and after each principle he would recap what he was understanding... "So you believe in living apostles and my church just teaches about dead ones"... We were the only ones on the whole plane with our over head lights on. Thanyer was snoring next to me, and he was joined with a sounds of other heavy sleepers. After several hours we decided we had better get a little shut eye. We turned off our lights. I stared into the dark plane and the tears just started to roll in gratitude for such an opportunity. Sharing the gospel to someone with someone who was pure in heart was worth any pass up on any voucher! I kicked myself for not having a copy of the Book of Mormon on me. The first time in 6 1/2 years of flying for business trips and such--and no Book of Mormon! In all honestly, I didn't even think to bring one. I shared that with Patti to which her response of shock was that was always my first thing to pack. But I didn't. A few tears dropped in morning my lack of preparation.

Landing in Georgia woke up all snores. As I pulled out my tickets for our connecting flights, I noticed my conference ensign. just one more week of the challenge left! For a split second, I didn't want to give it away, for surely the edition had become like my personal scriptures. Completely marked up with impressions and insights... but God had prepared a way even with the lack of preparation on my end. I showed Mark the Ensign and his eyes lit up as I shared showed him the prophet. I told him to keep it which I half expected him to turn me down, but he thanked me and took it.

I would love to write that something amazing has happened with Mark, but no more contact after that day has been responded--but this I do know--God's elect are being called in and prepared. Mark's heart was so good, and I felt how choice of a human being he is. It was an honor to share a red eye flight with him. And I praise God for providing a means! Oh I love flights!!

GOD WON'T YOU CHANGE HIM?
We were blessed to go to church on Sunday while in Florida. The Relief Society and Priesthood lessons were given on charity. The RS lesson was wonderful. The teacher was nervous, but had prepared with the spirit. Towards the last few mins of class an elderly sister in the back, visiting from Idaho (surely any wards around Disney World get a variety of members from all over coming) raised her hand. With quite some difficulty she painfully shared a very personal experience. She and her husband were called to serve a mission. She questioned the stake president because of her husbands loss of memory, but he assured her that they were needed. Off on their mission they went. She said the days and weeks went on, and her husband became worse. He could not remember appointments or dates. She said after him asking her for the 12th time what time church started, she just wanted to yell at him that she had already told him 11 times within the last 10 mins. This sweet sister, took her worries over to the Lord and expressed that she knew that God could heal her husband. That she didn't want to be the one with the only working memory. She fasted, prayed and pleaded with God to change and fix her husband for surely she should have to go one with him like how he was. The answer came--but competely different then she expected... the answer came that God would not heal her husband. Heavenly Father told this sister, "I am trying to teach you charity."

The sister was weeping and her voice was quivering sharing such a personal weakness. She said often times she just wanted to get angry with her husband and frustrated at how many times she has to repeat herself. She said she was deeply humbled that day, that God was using her husband to help her learn charity. That it was not her husband that needed fixing or to be changed--but it was her own weakness and lack of charity towards him.

This sister was crying and the rest of us were sniffing. Her comments stirred my soul. Patience is a christlike attribute. For surely the Lord is long suffering in our weaknesses and our selfishness. Impatience is a perfect manifestation of the lack of charity one's being is not claiming/using/manifesting. How her comments hit me in such a personal way.

Read this quote from President Hinkley tonight:
To those of you who live in troubled homes, may I suggest that you let love become the lodestar of your family life. There is too much of shouting, too much of recrimination, so many tears in the homes of some of our people. Love is the only remedy. It is the very basis of marriage. It can be nurtured and strengthened, or it can be starved and weakened. The power lies within ourselves. Bridle your tempers, husbands. Wives, hold your tongues. Revive the wondrous feeling that brought you to the marriage altar. --Gordon B. Hinckley
I thanked the sister afterwards for sharing her story. Still shaking she said she fought the prompting to share it all class, but finally could not fight off the spirit any longer. I apologized that she probably was suppose to share that story at least for me and thanked her for her courage in raising her hand.

Deep lesson on Charity. Deep reminder on how often my charity is not suffering long, patient, and/or kind. God is kind with all my weaknesses. And is patient. Can I not learn to be the same with others? My weaknesses may not be someone elses. And my faults-their strengths. My powers, their limitations. But God, who perfectly sees and views all, I think would have me be more kind, more patient, more quick to love then to criticize. Actually, unless directed by the spirit, I don't think there should be any room for criticism in my life. Criticism is surely not building. I pray to seek for more charity and the strength to exercise it's power to influence my thoughts, my heart, my tongue and my actions...

These are the words we sang in sacrament today. I sang hard and probably a little too loud, as my cheeks became wet...
As now we take the sacrament, our thoughts are turned to thee,
Thou Son of God, who lived for us, then died on Calvary.
We contemplate thy lasting grace, thy boundless charity;
To us the gift of life was giv’n for all eternity.

As now our minds review the past, we know we must repent;
The way to thee is righteousness— the way thy life was spent.
Forgiveness is a gift from thee we seek with pure intent.
With hands now pledged to do thy work, we take the sacrament.

As now we praise thy name with song, the blessings of this day
Will linger in our thankful hearts, and silently we pray
For courage to accept thy will, to listen and obey.
We love thee, Lord; our hearts are full. We’ll walk thy chosen way.

And so my life is this Sunday evening. A week seeking forgiveness, a week contemplating boundless charity.. Hands now pledge to do HIS work and courage to accept HIS will--TO listen and obey.... I love the Lord, my heart is full. I will walk His chosen way. Oh how I love God! The more I learn of Him and His doings, the more I stand all amazed.

PS. If you are just wanting a great 10 min reminder read this week CLICK HERE.