Sunday, November 18, 2012

THE LOST COIN AND WILTED CELERY

   A few weeks back I had a profound night at institute. I seriously can't say if I have ever looked forward to a class as much as I have this one. My teacher--MY IDOL! Seriously, if I wanted to have a mortal role model after how I would like to be as a gospel teacher, it would be after her.
   We were discussing the "lost" parables...we talked about the lost sheep, coin and prodigal son. Sister Petersen asked a girl in the class to summarize the lost coin. She brought up the point that the candle was lit and then the woman searched the whole house until she found the coin.
...what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one apiece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? 
And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.
   My mind raced with the symbolism. She found/held up "Christ"! He is the light of the world. A light that shines forth in darkness. When her coin, "valuable" was lost, she lit a candle and swept "searched" the house seeking diligently until she found it.
  What was it about the "light" that allowed her to find the coin?
  Rudimentary, but stay with me here. The silver coin... made out of metal. Of it's own, cannot do produce it's own light. However you let light pass over a metal coin, and you will have a reflection! The light, surely bounced off the metal "causing the "light" from the metal to reflect. In a sense reflect back the "light of Christ" /gospel, worth in the coin. To hold up Christ's light so what is in others, even if they are lost, shines... that is how we can find them, when our attention catches the light - "the child of God" that is in them.
   Powerful, deep impression.

   I love celery, however I don't blame people who hate the veggie for if they ever bit into a bitter celery, like anything rotten, the experience is not necessarily a pleasant one.
   Dad taught me a great lesson on how to "freshen" up wilted Celery... which can also help with the bitterness and preserve the life of celery.
   So here is the secret. Notice the first picture of meet Mr. Wilted Celery Stalk.  Cut off the ends, add some water and at the end of the day the picture on the right is litterally what my stalk looked like after sitting in water.
Morning-- wilted, floppy celery.
Evening, completely crisp, happy, strong celery!
























Isn't this just another testimony of my life?!!! When I cut off dead ends [less than worthy habits, pride, envy, lack of love, selfishness], and soak into The Living Water [remembering Christ, scripture study, purpose-full inspired prayers], my whole life/soul perks up!


   As a sweetness note, I put together an old RS presidency dinner. Maria and Meg both have two kids now and Citlalli and I wanted to meet the clan! I still am filled with great emotion when I think that the Lord let me serve with such choice women. Women who are now raising their children to God. How I love these woman! How I still cherish the time we were able to serve, unified, together.
   Life is full of choice moments. Moments to love, to be kind, to lift heavy hearts, to be an example, to hold up Light. God is constantly placing such moments in my life. I listened to a devotional.... We are, I AM, that I might have joy! Not just after this life, but here, and now.
   Sometimes my joy is consuming. 

Jesus is the Christ!

I am so grateful all things testify of Christ!
Even wilted celery, and lost metal coins.