Tuesday, February 3, 2009

MERCY

I asked Bishop if he would teach RS this past Sunday. He is such a good, good man. The whole Bishopric is called of God. He started his lesson with 1 Nephi 8:4-10

“…I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.
And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.
And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.
And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.”


The Man dressed in white could be an angel or perhaps even the Savior.

Lehi, a prophet/mouth piece of the Lord, is bade to follow this man in a white robe. He followed him and beheld he was surrounded by a dark and dreary waste. After traveling for the space of many hours in darkness he began to pray. He then sees the large and spacious field and then the tree.

Several insights...

Lehi, a prophet of the Lord, was doing everything asked of him. He was asked to follow, and he did. Lehi wasn’t doing anything bad/sinning, he was just following the path lade before him. His path was filled with darkness, even though he was following in the right steps! He found himself surrounded in darkness (for many hours) Lehi felt the need to pray! A prophet of the Lord, walking the right path, with a man dressed in a white robe and yet he too needed to pray! (I think this teaches a great lesson on the need to prayer.)

Bishop asked us to think about what Lehi prayed for… Rather then praying for deliverance (which I would have done… deliverance from my life situation, struggles, pain, heartache, illness) Lehi prayed for the Lord to have mercy on him—according to the multitude of his tender mercies. And it wasn’t until after he prayed and asked for mercy, that he was given the next view/step/ of his journey—he saw the field and then the tree.

Bishop asked us all if Lehi would have been led straight to the tree, would he have been able to recognize the greatness of the tree or understand just how happy the fruit could make one be!? Or did the struggle through the hours of darkness bring the perspective needed to fully appreciate/understand that the Tree was desirable? Opposition in all things! I can not tell I am truly having a happy day with out have a really awful day to compare it to. My awful days make me see/understand/appreciate when I am blessed with a good one! Without the dark times/hard times/struggling times in my life, how can I know the greatness of the atonement, or the pureness/mercy of Heavenly Father? I can’t!!

Bishop stated several times,

“Lehi didn’t pray for deliverance. He prayed for mercy.”

So amazed was I that I could not stop thinking of the significance of Lehi’s prayer—praying for mercy. I have never thought in my life to pray/ask for mercy. For me, or for those around me… but Lehi felt the need. So what is so important about mercy? Some told me that deliverance is the same thing as mercy, but so profound was the thought on my mind that it seemed to be much more and very different. Two completely different things…!

Dictionary.com
Mercy
1.compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence:
2.the disposition to be compassionate or forbearing: 3.the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, esp. to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty. 4.an act of kindness, compassion, or favor: 5.something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing:
I love #4, but all of them are great. Lehi in a sense, prayed for compassion and kindness, not deliverance! The past few days my prayers have taken on new meaning. I have been praying for mercy, tender mercy on my friends problems, on my family dramas, and on my own weaknesses. Bishop’s insight on mercy made me think of Elder Bednar’s talk…

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=0a838fbe352fe010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

Wow, I am going to start praying for mercy, daily. When I first started praying for mercy, I felt a little weird and slightly childish. I think of the gripping knuckle game “mercy” where one squeezes the others hands until someone screams mercy… to which the game is stopped and the gripping is loosened. But Mercy is not giving in… but rather asking for compassion/kindness to get through. Great Sunday meeting! Inspired Bishop.



I have included a picture of last months ward temple night. This was a significant night for me because Becca, Bishop’s wife, was able to come. If the Lord wants to fill me with instant love/happiness, he brings Becca into my day, for I can not help but be positive and happy around her. When Becca and I were in YW’s together, I felt the Lord was giving me this weekly gift of watching such kindness in the making. Becca always tells me she is normal, just like everyone else, but I beg to differ. She and her husband’s level of commitment is deep—and like us all I know they must have their struggles but they are great examples of trusting in the Lord and loving others in spite of their weaknesses.

As we walked to do a session, Bishop and Becca had their arms around each other. And in the session, Bishop stole glances at his beautiful bride. I saw their Christ-like love for one another… what a treat it is for me to be blessed with so many great examples. This night was no exception!