Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SMITE IT



It seems like everyone I know is having struggles lately. And it doesn’t seem to be small ones either. As I was pondering this evening on the need to have challenges in our lives, I was reading through 3 Nephi 28. The Disciples Jesus Christ chose from the Nephite group were all caught up into heaven (3 Nephi 28:13). After this experience they went forth and ministered unto all the people. Verses 19 and 20 are very interesting.

19 And they were cast into prison by them who did not belong to the church. And the prisons could not hold them, for they were rent in twain.

20 And they were cast down into the earth; but they did smite the earth with the word of God, insomuch that by his power they were delivered out of the depths of the earth; and therefore they could not dig pits sufficient to hold them.


What is it exactly did they do to the pits they were thrown into? “They did smite the earth with the word of God..” and by doing this, by the Savior’s power they were delivered out of the depths of the earth! Therefore there was no hole too great or too deep that they could not be delivered from.

Is this not a parallel for my own life?!

When I am faced with a prison situation, a habit that enslaves, or a trial/test in life that becomes the deepest blackest hole, what do I need to do to receive the power to be delivered from the depths of the hole/pit? SMITE MY PROBLEM/TRIAL/BAD HABBIT/AFFLICTION with the WORD OF GOD!!! By doing so, I can receive HIS power and thus be delivered out of the depths of my affliction. This puts a great spin on the greatness of the scriptures.. the words of God!

Now that being said, I am also aware, going back to what my Bishop taught... that Lehi prayed for Mercy, not deliverance. I know there are times and seasons. But there is great value in trusting that “they (the evils of the world/our own natural man/the devil himself) can not dig pits sufficient enough to hold us when we smite/use/apply/ponder/study/consume/live the word of God! There can not be pits sufficient to hold us down.

Of course I know that sometimes because of our wrong choices or perhaps what life dishes out--we may find ourselves in our own personal prison, or quite wounded from falling into the pit because of the pit’s depth. I fell on the ice over a month ago, and am just now feeling my bruised hip bone start to become whole again. Some may think, “Well great, I smite my problems with the word of God, but I still need to climb out of the pit [the problem] once there is an opening and I am quite wounded from the effects of being in the pit... so how do I become whole enough to get out of the pit when an opening is made?!” Jacob 2:8!!

Jacob had to be bold with the people in reprimanding them for not keeping the commandments. He was mindful that many of the woman and children listening had tender hearts. He then says...

And it supposeth me that they have come up hither to hear the pleasing word of God, yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul.

Not only can we smite the pits of problems/addictions/wrong habits/afflictions/loneliness/broken-hearts/depression/anger/disappointment with the Word of God to receive His power to get out of them... the word of God will ALSO heal our wounded soul, so we will have the ability to climb out, when an opening is made. This is an amazing, beautiful reminder of the power scriptures can have/do have in our every day lives. Have I smitten my “pit” today with the word of God? Have a used His words to balm up my wounds?

Deep.