Saturday, April 17, 2010

PATIENCE IN SPRING

There is new life in spring!


LESSON LEARNED TODAY
When I woke up to go exercise I had the thought that I would want to take my camera. My camera was in the car and so with that I told myself I didn't want to go walking with my camera in hand. Well-- needless to say within 4 mins of my walking I found this beautiful patch of purple weeds! And of course I started chuckling over the fact that God was again right! (I know--I know! When is He ever wrong?! Just when will I learn to listen.) So I quickly jogged to my car to retrieve my camera.

It was nearly 10 mins of just having fun shooting the flowers.

I looked over at the morning sky and hoped that soon the sky would be filled with morning sun so I could have the light of the sun enrich the pictures I was taking.


I looked out to the west mountains jealous that the sunlight had already hit the mountain peaks. I was still in the shade of the east mountains. I decided to walk a little ways but not wanting to miss the first moment of sun, I quickly walked back to the patch of flowers and waited impatiently for the sun to flood the ground with color. Now ironically I had the priesthood session playing in my ears and I was listening to President Uchtdorf's message. Yes--his topic and subject matter of choice was, "Continue in Patience".

The very moments he was saying why we needed to be patient--I was impatiently walking up and down waiting for the sunlight to come. I just started laughing at how God was teaching me, that yes I need a little more patience. But my wait for the light was well worth it!

Lets just say that my exercise went to pot this morning but I really enjoyed basking in golden purple petals!




I jumped in the shower to get ready for the morning. I had a breakfast date with a good friend and I wanted to make sure I was on time. As I got ready, over and over I pondered on my morning experience on not being patient for the sunlight to reach the flowers and having President Uchtdorf teaching me that I Bryndi, need to have more patience. (I say Pres. Uchtdorf, but really it was God teaching me through his servant's words.)

The past few weeks and months God has wanted me to know about:
trusting in him,
leaving to him to order and provide,
cleaving to good things,
to suffer things to grow,
doubt causes a hard heart,
to remain faith filled,
not to complain,
and
how He wants me to remember now and for a while that "Patience is a process of perfection".


This morning was one of pondering for sure.

Right before I left for breakfast, not wanting to be late, but knowing I just needed something to help sustain my morning I said a quick little prayer that God would let me open up and read just one verse that would give me insight and a boost for the day. (This was a plead because I knew I didn't have time to devote any time to of studding before I left).

My Book of Mormon opened up to Alma 26 and my eyes went straight to verse 28. I laughed out loud, as you might too!
28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.
Again--can God get any more direct to get the point across!?

After this patient scripture, I started asking, "Okay Heavenly Father, you are preparing my reaction for things to shortly come--aren't you?!" And so true. I felt order when life didn't feel like it was out of order. I felt cleaving to good things when I felt I already was, but didn't know it would be hard to continue. I felt that I would need to/had to suffer things to grow--at a time that didn't feel like suffering at all--but again in all of this, God is really good with "prep" work! Because little did I know then, but all the things He has been teaching me/impressing my mind with, have been shadows of the attitudes/traits I will/have needed to take on with current situations in my life. ALL of his counsel has come to pass--! (No shocker there!:) He always knows what is best.

With this fore-shadow of needing to know/understand and embrace the patience principle...I spent a good chunk of time by a river, walking alone with my camera in hand pondering over patience. As I walked I was touched at how at this time of year, everything is growing and changing! New life is springing up everywhere! And as new growth takes place--patience is the very principle that the new growth is having to practice.

Here is a taste of my walk by the river. All the quotes are from President Uchtdorf's Patience talk.

















EVERYTHING in it's sphere of life, must experience patience! A tiny bud cannot cover a tree with beautiful flowers over night! Sure there are time for miracles, and I am a full believer/know that God is excellent at preforming miraculous miracles with no time at all.

With all the beauty that is taking place in this spring time--I am reminded that there are days when the mountain shadows cover us and we long for the "son"light to reach our outstretched petals. Sometimes we may have to wait all night, a day, a week, a month or even years--but this I do know--the "SON"light always comes! And patiently I will wait.

AFTER THOUGHT FROM YESTERDAY'S BLOG
Notice the three ducks in this picture?



The small light colored female got out of the water by stepping on a rock and for several, several mins ran her beak through all of her feathers I am sure seaming them together. While she did this, the larger duck--which it was obvious was her mate-- swam down the river. One time the dark duck got too close for comfort and the Male lover swam for at least 20 secs in a fast manner beating it's wings up and down on the river. The scene was very impressive, I must say!


The darker duck never approached again while I was sitting there.

The female duck did not seem alarmed at all, but went on seaming her feathers together.

After the dark duck was shewed far away, the male duck seemed to give his bride her space to fix her feathers and he just swam back and forth in the river from bank to bank making what felt like was a wall of "back off". As soon as the female was done grooming herself she got back in the water and the two reunited and swam together upstream.


You could argue that it was just "habits of ducks". But for me, being able to watch this, I was deeply touched by the symbolism. Like the talk from yesterday's post--Adam, with time, had the the wisdom and contrast to fully appreciate Eve and all she had to offer and what she would mean for him.

The male duck, seemed to know his "Eve" and all she meant to him. And he was prepared to keep her safe and happy at all costs.

Well I better get ready for the Sabbath! I will be taking the sacrement looking at all the ways the Savior was patient with his own sufferings/timings. How He is endlessly patient with me.

The Church is true! God sure does love us! He loves me! (And I am not complaining! :))

Spring is another gentle reminder that new growth requires some awesome patience. Patience with ourselves and others.

I will--patiently--grow!