Sunday, August 7, 2011

...ARE YOU WORTHY?


This guy in my ward (I will just call him "Jack" for this) shared a pretty awesome story that I felt I should share.

Jack and his buddies (this past week I believe) were up Hobble Creek Canyon long boarding down a hill they had not tried before. Jack's friend biffed it and landed on his face. There was blood everywhere.

Jack and his other friend put their injured friend in the back of the car and sped the long 40 min ride to the nearest hospital.

The kid hit his face pretty bad and could not remember anything... who he was, what had happened or even that he was a returned missionary. Jack, sitting in the front, lowered his chair and placed his hands on his friend's head (covered by a towel because of all the blood) and gave him a priesthood blessing.

The injured kid came to enough to know that he was covered in blood and asked why he was so bloody. He then asked if he had been wearing a helmet, which he had been--probably the only thing that saved his life, and then he asked if he got a blessing. Jack told his buddy that he had given him one, to which the kid responded, "Are you worthy?"! The question startled Jack for he was not expecting such a question in such a crisis, but he responded back to his buddy that "Yes" he was worthy.

The whole 40 min rush to the hospital, even though this injured kid could not recall what happened or who he was, he kept repeating the same four questions over and over:
Why am I all bloody?
Was I wearing a helmet?
Did I get a blessing?
Are you worthy?
Jack said he has never been so scared in his life... but he then testified of the truthfulness of the priesthood and how thankful he was that he had been worthy to give a priesthood blessing.

The story really touched me and made me think of my girlfriend who got in a pretty serious car accident. Her friend had been driving. He was okay, but she was really messed up and could not move. Help took a little while to come and she pleaded for her friend to give her a blessing... to which he responded that he could not, he was not worthy. She cried and asked over and over in the drama of the accident, "I need a blessing? Why have you not lived worthy? Why?". Help came and she was later given a blessing in the hospital.

The ensign article from this or last month--was shared about a woman who got in a wreck, and some random guy came to her window, not even knowing if he was a member, the first thing she asked for was a blessing and the man responded that he would and he did.

All three of these stories, I loved that all three people turned/sought out a blessing. Especially this kid long boarding that could not even remember who he was or what had happened. But out of the four questions he asked- Did I get a blessing? Are you worthy?! Surely the angels must have rejoiced that his spirit brought to the surface what principles that must have been imbedded as truth previously--so that at a moment of crisis the "well" to draw from was already filled! The kid in my ward shared with how sweet it was to know that he was worthy to give a blessing at such a moment of crisis.

Like a thief in the night we are told is when the Savior will come. No man knows the hour or the day, but like the 10 virgins we must be prepared and worthy with our promises to God. In keeping our covenants and commitments to him. None of us know when we will be called upon to serve someone at a "critical" moment in their life or at a pivotal moment in our own lives. Whether it is giving a blessing, being a listening ear, visiting/home teaching, following impressions... Like a thief in the night, or a ray that bursts through a blackened cloud--the sudden, with only a moment's notice, we never know when we will need to act. ... may we all strive to live worthy so we can, or rather, that God can act through us!!

Amen to the priesthood of God! Amen to men who live worthy and can call down the powers of heaven when needed. Amen to men who know that it is not them, but the Power of God working through/in them. Amen to men who are willing to serve with/in the priesthood. Amen to the women who have faith to ask for blessings. Amen to wives who sustain, support, and caringly (not a word I know, but it totally works! use your imagination) support the priesthood in not just in the home, but in the church. Amen for repentance and God's merciful plan in helping us readjust our life if there is a need to readjust so we can be worthy at a moment's notice.

In a moment of crisis, where will we turn? To ourselves, to the world, or to our God?

I pray I may be like the kid long boarding, my friend, and the woman from the Ensign. May I ever be filling my well, that when my physical body/brain doesn't know what to do, my spirit can jump in! May I be like this kid from my ward, that at a moment's notice, he was living in such a way, that he could be God's instrument.

Maybe this blog should have been titled, "At a moment's notice"... :)

My heart is full!