Saturday, December 10, 2011

DON'T FAIL TO SEE...


This morning as I was getting ready for my day, I listened to this experience that Sister Menlove had with her grandchildren.  I remember hearing the story in General Conference, but I don't remember it being so profound.  I was touched.  She recounted:
A few months ago I had an opportunity to take a morning walk on a mountain trail with four of my grandchildren. We each brought a bag so we could collect treasures from nature. As we looked for pieces to put in our collection, we found many different colors, designs, and textures in the leaves and rocks. It was hard to choose. I soon noticed that the children’s bags were filling up. Each leaf the children selected was unique, but because it was late fall, most of the leaves had dark weathered spots, irregular shapes, or faded and discolored parts. Because of this, I was reluctant to add things to my bag. I was looking for a leaf that showed the brightest colors and had no flaws. If it wasn’t perfect, I wasn’t going to treasure it. But this meant that my bag had very little in it.

Later, as I thought about this experience, I realized that I had cheated myself of much delight and happiness that could have been mine. I didn’t appreciate the uniqueness of the objects because I was looking for what I had deemed perfection. My grandchildren had been wiser than I had been. They had savored the odd shapes and spots on the leaves. They giggled at and enjoyed the brittle crispness of the dying leaves, and they delighted in the soft, faded colors. They filled their bags with happy treasures to take home. We can fail to see and enjoy the unique happiness and beauty in each day if we are so focused on our desire for what we want instead of what the Lord has designed for us. (For full article click here.)
Now there is a lot to say of what am I "filling" my earthly bag with.  We are told that we are to go in search of a pearl of great price, and when we find it, we should sell all that we have to obtain it.  But I am thankful for this sweet reminder of seeing/finding the joy in life rather then seeking/only focused on the "perfectness" of something/anything!  I surely would have only placed the most beauitful and most perfect leaves in my bag as well!!  What if God did that?!  Only picked out the perfect and flawless children to communicate with/and or to love?  Well he would only have one Son in that bag, namely Jesus Christ.  But yet, I know that God treasures each of us!  Even with our unique flaws/imperfections.

Sister Menlove's story reminded me of a morning I had in May with Ms. Mia Bella.

It was cold, and cold, and lifeless, and did I mention COLD?! :)  Mia and I went outside to "see" what we could see.  No leaves, brisk wind, mud and dirt everywhere.  Needless to say the morning would not be counted as one of my top 10 beautiful mornings-- or so I thought!


Mia was running around and playing in the dirt.  Having such a fun time.  She would find an obstacle of sagebrush in her path and then only with the confidence that graces an adventurous two year old she would try stepping over the brush. It was fun seeing her confidently lift her leg and with a glance towards me that seemed to say, "Did you see how high I just lifted my leg?!" When she landed her footing successful, she would squeal and flap her arms in delight.  I was trying to be the responsible "aunt" in keeping her out of the more muddy spots, while allowing her the freedom of roaming around where she chose to.

Again, this morning was nothing to talk about for it was pretty bleak.  Or was it?

At one point I got close to the ground for kicks and giggles of wanting to capture the perspective of  a two year old footstep.  I captured a lot more than a shoe! 


My bleak/lifeless morning changed in an instant to breath taking yellow and gold spread splendor!  The ground was literally covered with hundreds of smaller than dime flowers.  They were EVERYWHERE!  Mia had discovered them before me! (The picture of her above crouching down is of her capturing one of the flowers.  If you look closely to her right you will see a littering of yellow. Click on the picture and you will see even better how there are flowers everywhere!) 

My morning changed!  Not because God put leaves on the trees and dried up all the mud.  But rather He allowed me to see, what I had failed to see... His beauty!  His hand! His sunshine! I expected to see it in the warmth of the air and in the hoped for "life" in the trees.  He however, had provided it just inches off the ground.

A guy on Sunday shared a quote that his mission companion shared with him.  "Perspective brings patience."  So eternal perspective, when viewing things as they really are--the "bigger picture" patience is provided.  Well my inches off the mud view provided a new perspective. As well.  Like Sister Menloves discovery of missing out in all the joy and treasures she could have enjoyed had she not be so focused on perfection, I too could have missed the most beauitful display/arrangement of sunshine right above the mud!

Perspective!!

A friend shared her despair as tears fell from her cheeks.  With life's changes she could not believe that God had taken so many things away from her.  I asked her if she had thought of all the things that Christ had done for her, to which she responded that she could not think of one thing he had done for her.  (It was like living Elder Oak's talk from General Conference for myself.)  My sweet friend, with tears of anger and tears of sorrow, grasped for any form of happiness, but sadly she was convinced that her happiness would only be found in her boyfriend coming back and her getting to "just live" her life how she wanted, without guilt or responsibilities.

I tried to share with her the hundreds of yellow flowers that marked and covered the path... but one must come to discover what is literately growing out of the "muds/hardships" of life for themselves.  She saw only what I saw at first... a lifeless, cold, bleak morning, and in bitterness and with anguish of soul her tears continued to flow.

My brother had a significant dream back in 2003:
"I had a dream a little while ago in which I was going to class when I began to feel quite thirsty. So I went to the drinking fountain and took a long drink, but as I did so I noticed that I couldn't feel the water in my mouth or throat. I drank again, again I felt nothing. Slightly irritated I got a large bottle of water and proceeded to empty its contents down in my mouth, I still felt nothing and I was becoming more and more thirsty. This was becoming quite aggravating so I left my class and found myself walking outside to a grass field which had sprinklers watering the lawn. I was sooo thirsty. So i went to the sprinkler and started to drink. Arrrgggg! Again I couldn't feel the water and I just go thirstier and thirstier. What was going on! As I was about to try the water in a near by gutter, I woke up. With an extremely dry mouth I got out of bed to get a drink. As I held the glass I stared at it for a while, trying to give it the impression that if I couldn't feel the water as I drank, it could enjoy being flung against the wall. I tipped the glass to my mouth and drank. YES! The water was cold against my throat, the thirst slowly dissipated. There are times in my life when I thirst, and I have found there are sources that cannot satisfy.  I am learning that there is only one true source for living water, Christ. He not only extends his water, He also pleads for me to drink. As I drink I am filled with his spirit and I find an increased capacity to feel and love. He knows how to quench my thirst because He too has thirsted like me. He causes springs of faith and hope in my driest times. He is the true fount, the fount of every blessing. I know He lives, loves and will lead me home if I will follow." -- Brytt Cloward
When we chatted it came down to the fact that she really did want to live her life the way she wanted to, and not have to keep commandments or put Christ in it.  The amazing beautiful thing about this life-- is that we can choose just to do that!  God will never force us to follow Him, or have faith in His son. But I echo the words of my brother that I too have found that there are sources that cannot satisfy.  And ultimately "there is only one true source of living water, Christ."

So I get to choose what goes in my bag!  May I fill it with the things that matter!  May I see what I couldn't see before in noticing the beauty of mud grown flowers!

To my dear friend-- God loves you.  And there is joy to be had even on seemingly bleak mornings.

May we see, what we couldn't see...!

Jesus lives!