Thursday, December 1, 2011

25 DAYS

25 Days seems a fitting number...

I always ponder about this time of year. And I know it is like beating the same drum, but I can't help stop thinking about what CAN happen with someone this time of year. Sadly, I learned of a suicide of a young teenage girl last week on or right after Thanksgiving. I learned of a friend who has a few family members that have been also contemplating suicidal thoughts and at times quite struggle with who they are and their very existence. I am not to judge, for I know not their thoughts or their struggles. I know not the anguish of their soul or what Goliath is staring them down. I know not.

But this I do know...

There is a loving Father in Heaven who sent His only Begotten son to not only die for us but also to live for us! And at this Christmas season--wouldn't it be something if we chose to live for Him?!

At this time of year, if one will allow, one can be filled with joy, with more kindness, patience, temperance, understanding. Mens hearts can naturally be turned outward and there is NO LIMIT to the amount of good one can do during the holidays. There is NO limit to the influence. There is no limit to the hands that can be served. The smiles that can be given and the burdens that can be lightened. Satan KNOWS this! He knows because of the time of year it is--there is greater chance, that IF someone will reach outside themselves their influence/good acts/kind words could triple and multiply by 7 times the normal JUST BECAUSE of the time of year it is!

So, if I were the adversary and I knew all that one could do for Jesus Christ at this time of year... Why not put ALL my efforts, demons, devils, discouragement on an individual and just get them to focus on them looking in instead of looking out.  To focus on self instead of focusing on others.  IF I can just get someone to not care about the season and to be caught up in the business and the parties and all the obligations, the shopper rush, the longing/ the $$$ debt-- If I could just help cause them to forget the WHY behind Christmas... Well shoot!  I think I would make a pretty convincing plan for Satan to stamp with his approval of what to do with his Troops this Christmas! 

But it doesn't need to be that way.

I have read a few beautiful things in the last 5 days that have caused me great reflection.

"Our eternal happiness will be in proportion to the way that we devote ourselves to helping others" --George Albert Smith

"It is better to walk with God in the darkness than without him in the light." --Maria Speidel

... the Holy Ghost "satisfies and fills up every longing of the human heart, and fills up every vacuum.  When I am filled with that Spirit...my soul is satisfied, and I can say in good earnest, that the trifling things of the day do not seem to stand in my way at all.  But just let me lose my hold of that spirit and power of the Gospel, and partake of the spirit of the world, in the slightest degree, and troubles comes; there is something wrong.  I am tried, and what will comfort me?  You cannot impart comfort to me that will satisfy the immortal mind, but that which comes from the Fountain above.  And is it not our privilege to so live that we can have this constantly flowing into our souls?" --Eliza R. Snow (from Daughters in My Kingdom)
Jesus Christ shared with those recorded in Matt and Luke to "love your enemies, do good to them that hate you"... and He shared the same counsel with the Nephites when he visited them after his resurrection.  I think He is trying to help us see and make a point that we need to be loving!

But how can we love, if we are hating?  How can we bless if we are only cursing back? How can we do good if we close off our heart?  And how can we sincerely pray for those around us if we are not inclined to sincerely pray in the first place?  No wonder Christ gave such timely council!


I came across a letter that my mom shared with me back in 2006. It was a letter that Uncle Dave had written to Grammy dated July 16, 2006. He was sharing with her about Luke 18 and what it takes to be a profitable servant. He then started reflecting a little on a few areas of his life and wrote that, "...and occasionally [I] don't keep some of the commandments. (I'm usually okay with the Ten, but have occasional problems with the Two Great Commandments, such as wrong priorities, unkind thoughts and words, ect.)" !!!!

The TWO GREATS ARE:
  • Love the Lord thy God with all your heart - NOT KEEPING = wrong priorities.
  • Love your neighbor as yourself - NOT KEEPING = unkind thoughts and words, ect.
Brilliantly stated! Thanks Uncle Dave! (Ha you may not have known that your sister was sharing your stuff with her daughter--but now you do!  ;))

I have reflected over those words... what are my priorities!

President Spencer W. Kimball said:
“Jesus … taught us how important it is to use our time wisely. This does not mean there can never be any leisure, for there must be time for contemplation and for renewal, but there must be no waste of time. How we manage time matters so very much, and we can be good managers of time without being frantic or officious. Time cannot be recycled. When a moment has gone, it is really gone. The tyranny of trivia consists of its driving out the people and moments that really matter. Minutia holds momentous things hostage, and we let the tyranny continue all too often. Wise time management is really the wise management of ourselves”  
Time cannot be recycled!

SOOO --- 25 Days!
(Not that it should only last 25 days, but goals/habits are measured with marking points...)

I would like to issue a challenge to anyone who is up for it.  For the next 25 Days--LET'S work on a "birthday" gift for the Savior.  That is to:

1.)  LOVE enemies... 
Those we have grudges towards.  Those who we feel have wronged us so we, sometimes unknowingly, withhold our love from them. Those who are in the checkout line and take their own sweet time... :)
2.)  BLESS them that curse...
That could mean, driving with a smile when someone does less than considerate actions with their car.  Serving someone that it would be easy to keep on moving.
3.)  DO GOOD to those that hate...
Forgiving is a good thing to do. Being slow to anger is a good thing. Slow to judge... living with giving people the benefit of the doubt... Smiling especially when it is so natural to not to car/want to be noticed... Focusing on others, choosing to be happy/positive-- all GOOD things to do. 
4.)  PRAY for others...
In a time when Satan will strive so hard to tempt us with thoughts of ending our life- only focusing inward, dwelling on what we can't see/don't have rather than seeing all we do have... If Satan can tempt us to not pray, and especially for others because we have given up or just stop caring... I say he has a pretty good plan!! Prayers can MOVE mountains!  (The faith in one's prayers..:))

SOO--What will your gift to Christ be this year?  Will you give Him 25 days?!!!  Will you give Him, in the form of doing it to/for others-- LOVE, BLESS by serving/noticing/caring, DO GOOD and PRAYING?!

What a "Birthday" (in the time of year when the world celebrates his birth) gift we could give!

The choice is ours...!

25 DAYS!!!