Friday, December 23, 2011

TUCKED IN PANT LEGS

Yesterday I stopped in a rush at Kmart to pick up something really quick. The lines were not too long  which I was grateful for because of course I was in a hurry.

As I stood in my line, I looked at the cashier one line over from me. The way Kmart set up their check-out lines, this cashier was basically standing in my line, just facing a different direction. I happened to glance down and noticed that his pants were tucked into his white socks and thought it was a bold style. Our eyes connected and I smiled/half winked at him to say hello. We didn't exchange words because he was already working with a customer but he acknowledged me with a smile back and I went back to getting ready to check out. The woman and man in his line asked him how he was. Very joyfully he thanked the couple for asking him how HE was and that many people don't ask such things. He then proceeded to tell them how great he was for it was Christmas.

I was very pleased to hear such an interaction between sales associate and customer.  With the cashier's  comment of people not being very personal, for whatever reason I looked back at his pants again. But this time instead of seeing the bottoms tucked into the socks, I noticed that the pants were probably three of even four sizes too big of slacks. And they were being held together by a belt. They were black, and I hadn't noticed how big they were before.  My heart dropped. I don't think he was tucking the pant bottoms into his socks for style, but rather to hide how big they were. I was filled with more admiration, love and compassion for this cashier.  My mind seemed to play out several different reasons as to why he would be wearing such large pants...

The rest of my check out was fast. I finished my purchase and walked towards the door, but paused to get his attention.  I know, I was a little creepy I guess, but I waited for him to look over. Which he did and I nodded and sent him a smile. To which he lifted his hand to his brow, saluted me with a nod and smiled back. No words spoken... but I won't forget his optimistic, sincere cheer.  I walked to my car changed.

Sunday one of the speakers mentioned that charity is seeing someone at their full worth. Outside of the scriptures and President Monson's amazing talk on charity (click here) I don't think I have heard a more perfect definition of charity.  Perhaps Heavenly Father in his infinite wisdom and mercy allows us random views/insights into people's lives to help fill in the areas of charity that we have not perfectly fulfilled yet.  Oh the gift to strive and plead for of being "quick to observe".  (Brilliant talk given by Elder Bednar and one of my personal favorites!  Click here to view.) 

I am so thankful God allows us moments to see into the lives of others.  Ever so brief at times, but my interaction with the cashier that wasn't even my cashier...  I most likely will never know his story.  But regardless of circumstances, his attitude reflected love and kindness.  What a great example he was to me! Lesson not lost.

My heart is full.

Three clips to bring the spirit!  The first one--may we all listen to the promptings/impressions of the spirit.  The second one was introduced to me by my friend Steve.  His pastor shared it with him.  The man truly "saw" others worth.  That can be said with the last clip too.







Merry Christmas!  Christ is the reason!