Monday, January 9, 2012

"We don't believe in prayer..."

So what a title to start this blog entry with!  I know right!?!  I felt the same way when I heard my Bishop make the comment in Ward Council yesterday.  He did pause after he said those words, but here is his whole inspired statement.  "We [as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints] don't believe in prayer, we believe in mighty prayer!" --Bishop Karl Lifferth  

What a statement! And what a true statement.  The impact of his words sunk deep into my heart.  Truly we are a people who not only have greater insight to prayer, and because of that insight--are believers/users of MIGHTY PRAYER!!  (Check the blog if you can't read the text below.)
Nevertheless the children of God were commanded that they should gather themselves together oft, and join in fasting and mighty prayer in behalf of the welfare of the souls of those who knew not God. --Alma 6:6
 
Who [Jesus Christ] will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer. --Jesus Christ

And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me. --Nephi

And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens. --Enos
 True statements... and if I am not exersizing the right and knowledge of "mighty" prayer--what things may I be missing out on and not just for myself but those who I love and have any kind of stewardship.  Thank you Bishop Lifferth!

Another awesome reminder I was given yesterday was a by a guy that just moved into my ward a month ago.  His name is Jason.  He stood up to bare his testimony and said, "If we are not applying the atonement of Jesus Christ in our life, then we are not progressing." What a dead on statement.  So true.

Yesterday was a beauitful day.  Filled with so many miracles.  A friend on my committee came out and we did some visits that I had felt to do.  I had only asked him at church (short notice) to come out with me but he was more than willing to go on the visits.  It was awesome to go into homes and see him chill and loving the individuals.  It was uplifting and edifying.

Yesterday as I closed my fast in gratitude for a lot of blessings, I felt impressed that I needed to stop by a friend's house before the CES fireside.  In "reasoning" with God I mentioned that this perticular guy had not been to church in months and other then hello's during the holiday I had not really talked to him, although I had tried many, many times.  I wondered if I should give the guy the heads up that I was coming to see him, but I litterally felt to just drive to his house and invite him to put on his shoes and come with me to the fireside.  The fireside started at 6 and about 6:05 I got to his house.  He had just gotten home from work.  I told him there was a fireside and I was there to pick him up and have him go.  He hesitated for a moment, but I told him to grab his shoes and we would go.  He went and changed out of his work clothes, fixed his hair (out of respect for not wanting to wear a baseball cap into the chapel), laced up his boats and we were out!  We only caught the last 20 mins or so of the fireside talk, but I sat amazed knowing he had actually gone with me.

I dropped him off at his place and after a few hours of conversation, he mentioned how crazy it was that I had come over.  He said that God must have read his mind.  I inquired to him what he meant.  And he told me that in overcomeing something in his life, he has kept himself to himself and not wanting to get out.  But that this day, he wanted to "get dressed up and go out".  Shortly after those thoughts I was at his door.  And it didn't matter if it was a fireside, he recognized that God was answering a prayer he didn't even know he said (or at least not officially).  I just smiled and told him it had nothing to do with me--but that God loved him and made a way for him to "get out".  In texting the EQ President last night, he mentioned that he had felt to go invite and pick up the guy to go to the fireside--but seeing he would be late decided not to.  I did not fill him in that God had back up plans!!  If Plan A didn't work, I have no idea what number of plan B, or C, I was---but this I know-- God LOVES his children.  He LOVES US! He hears our prayers, and surely our MIGHTY prayers.

My life has been a little messed up.  So focused on the business of my career, which has been needed at this season of the year, but I have become a little complacent and not "mighty" in praying and truthfully not mighty in a lot of things: faith, trust, hope... and there has been a separation of not evening allowing God to use my life in the service of others, because of my complacent. So yesterday was a sweet reminder how much I LOVE being for HIM!  Truly, I don't want my life to be my own.  If there are lives to lift, to bless, to encourage, to cheer, to brighten, to listen, to smile and hug, I pray that if God needs a runner for any such tasks, I can live in such a way that He might request/prompt me.  I truly want to LIVE for HIM.

And in sharing this last bit--I speak nothing of myself.  For in me there are so many awesomely beautiful flaws.  Awesomely beautiful because they are reminders that I need to keep striving to becoming like God and relying on/keep seeking Him. Without him, I am truly nothing (as to my own strength, I am weak.) But WITH HIM I can be all he wants me to be!  And I have access to His help and assistance as I journey here below.

My cup is full.

I don't believe in prayer, I BELIEVE IN MIGHTY PRAYER!!  Oh to ever be applying the atonement of Jesus Christ to my life, not only to be made whole, but to progress--to journey and venture to Him helping me fulfill the measure of my creation. He really can do it!  After all that I can do, HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT!