Friday, July 13, 2012

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT A MISTAKE, never was, a "thou shalt".



(Photo San Diego LDS Temple: by Marshyl Cloward)
Loved Jason's profound comment on Sunday. He pointed out that God has never given the commandment of "Thou shalt not commit a mistake." He did give us the commandment to forgive.  Forgive when others' mistakes hurt, harm, or scar. When our own mistakes cause wounds/scars. 

"For, if ye forgive men their trespasses [mistakes] your heavenly Father will also forgive you [your mistakes]; But if ye forgive not men their [mistakes] neither will your Father forgive your [mistakes]." --Jesus Christ

An all loving Heavenly Father, knowing fully well that this earth life was/is given for me to learn and grow, KNEW that I would make many mistakes. Thank goodness for Elder Packer's reminder that "The gift of the Holy Ghost, if you consent, will guide and protect you and even correct your actions." (emphasis added) 

And my thoughts tonight rested on the truths of this scripture:

"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!"--Jesus Christ

One soul... even if that one, is mine.... symbolically speaking of course this is deep. But even speaking literally... the scripture does not say send someone to Christ, but bring.  I need Jesus. And in working with others, I am essentially working on getting/bringing myself closer to Him!

"Nearer, my God, to thee... E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me...Nearer, my God, to thee..."--Hymn 100

Oh the great joy in God's merciful plan of happiness, for all of us. For me! 

I am grateful for the priesthood.