Friday, September 14, 2012

What is MY towel?


 

Gird
1. to encircle or bind with a belt or band.
2. to surround; enclose; hem in.
3. to prepare (oneself) for action: He girded himself for the trial ahead.
4. to provide, equip, or invest, as with power or strength.
 This morning as I woke and read a book review, this scripture came flooding to my mind. Several years ago I was in Gospel Doctrine class. This scripture was brought up. I cannot recall ever hearing/paying attention to this scripture before. I believe the teacher was pointing out that the Savior was going about serving. However, when the scripture was read out loud, my mind took hold of what the Savior was serving with. ... a towel ... girded himself.

What am I Bryndi Cloward girding myself with so that I might better serve?

As I laid in bed I pondered over why is it that I love to study?
1. for selfish reasons, I love what gospel study does to my thoughts, my actions, my intents... more importantly what it does to my heart.
2. IF I can gird myself with: truths, principles, parables, applications... then when the Savior would have me wash and wipe... I am girded with a "towel" that hopefully can comfort, heal, soothe, and warm.
  Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 1 Peter 1:13
 I choose, what my mind and heart are girded with. For surely whatever I focus on, spend my time and energy with (where your treasure is, there will your heart be also) will surround and bind my thoughts.

So what do I won't my thoughts to be bound with?

What will my towel be? 

I am grateful for still, early mornings.