Monday, October 24, 2011

GOD PREPARES A WAY!!

So this is nothing new... but can I just tell you how amazing Heavenly Father is?!?!

I have a sweet sister that I visit. And in all honesty, I was shocked with how the Lord opened up doors for me to even have contact with this girl. The first time I visited her with my companion, her boyfriend was there and although he was kind, he made it clear that the gospel was not for him. Last month we set up an appointment to go see her and she asked for me to text her the day of so that she wouldn't forget. I sent a text, called a handful of times, and sent more texts in the course of two days prior to the appointment. Nothing. (You may think a little compulsive, but no-- not true. For I felt okayed from up above, and with the responsibility of caring over those given me in a visiting teaching charge--I knew that God would prepare a way... and He surely did!!!)

My companion and I had pressing schedules the day of the appointment and both needed to be somewhere near 7pm. I told my comp that I had not been able to get a hold of our sister to remind her, but that if she was up for it we would just go by and see if she would keep the appointment that we had set up the week prior. As we drove, I felt impressed that I needed to go over what the bible dictionary talks about with prayer. It was my companion's turn to share the lesson, so I just made a mental note/plea that God would make a way to share what needed to be shared.

We pulled up and knocked on the door and the thought came to my mind that there was movement inside, but no one came to the door. We knocked a few times and then on the way back out to my car, I asked my companion if she would mind us sticking around a little bit. (My thoughts to sticking around was about 10 mins max, but thought if she was to come home we could see her then.)

We had a great time chatting and after finding out my companion has a tender heart for those with physical disabilities we watched a movie I put together a while ago on a little girl in a wheel chair. Our eyes were both wet as we sat in the car and watched the youtube clip off my iphone.

All during our discussion I kept glancing for a sign of a car. Well wouldn't you know it--we sat outside for nearly 30 mins. This is really not a normal practice for me, or for my companion. And just as the movie was finishing--the front door to the gal's house threw open and there her boyfriend stomped out across the grass. I called out his name and he was startled to see me. He gave me a fake smile, lessened his grumpy movements because, I believe, he knew that someone else now was seeing his huffy actions.

Our gal came to the door and was calling him back. It was obvious a disagreement had just taken place. I rolled down my window and called to our girl asking her if we could come in. She had no choice really, because was she really going to say "no"!! NO she was not. She kept calling to her boyfriend as we walked to the door and then made an excuse of how she had been in the back yard which I knew was not truthful, but I was so overwhelmed with gratitude to God for "making" a way that I just smiled at her as she let us in.

We stepped inside and it was apparent they had just been in the front living room. Our sweet sister then confessed that they had been in there and after receiving my text (about 20 mins after we had already come by) that we were just waiting for her outside, her boyfriend became upset and after a battle of words not wanting us there, stormed out of the house--thus HIS STORM--caused a wake for us to ride back into the house! See--! God is truly brilliant! :D

This sweet girl opened up and shared with us her past and about how she just gotten out of Jail for the last time and her experience with the Book of Mormon while she was there. She even showed us her notes she and one of her cell mates had taken on the Book of Mormon. Everything came together as God had me share with her about prayer as written in the bible dictionary. The spirit was present and we know our sister's heart had not only been lifted but she had been given some moments to reflect on things God has already done for her.

My companion and I both left her house rejoicing in God and the miraculous power He had in making a way. And the boyfriend?? He threatened to leave her, but as we were teaching, our sister's little sister came in the house and said that the boyfriend was in the garage sleeping in the car. Ahh, the power of manipulation thankfully did not win out that day!!

Well this journey does not end there and is still continuing.

Our sister texted us and thanked us for stopping by. My companion and I made conference journals for all of our girls with their favorite colors/treats and quotes. I went be the friday before conference and to my surprise this sister came to the door. I was able to give her her journal in person and mentioned I had not heard back from my texts in a few weeks. She told me she had changed cell number and was willing to text me the new number. I left her door step praising god for making a way for me to get her new number.

Well--that was three weeks ago, and since that time I have tried every which way to get a hold of this sister. After I gave her her journal, with her new number she text my companion and I both deep gratitude of thanks... So I knew she didn't hate me for stopping by.

All month she has been on my mind and her lack of not responding to anything. How can I see her? How can I help her feel God's love. I have been given the charge to watch over her, to serve her and to love her--so surely the Lord would make a way yet again!

I decided to up my prayers with love and concern for her. Since Oct first I have stopped by her house several times with no success of having anyone come to the door. All texts, un answered. (I sound like a stocker right?!!--Ha, maybe in the world's eyes I am, but we must do all that lays in our power and then stand still to watch God's miracles unfold D&C123:17.)

Wed- Andrea and I went to stop by what I felt was a prompted visit and found my gal's sister there. She came and talked to us and the visit was completely inspired and both Andrea and I left the house praising God for the chance to talk to the teenage sister.

Yesterday as I was praying how I was going to see my sister, the impression came that I needed to go to her home. I have had this thought several times this month and besides wed night, found no success in reaching her. But the impression came. I text a sister in my ward and asked if she would like to be my companion for the visit, for my actual companion already had family plans. The "substitute" companion invitation was turned down--but I have never been bound to only visiting IF I have a companion. God can still use us if we have the guts.

I pulled outside and was stopped by my neighbor and when she asked where I was going, I sheepishly replied that I was trying a "surprise" attack on trying to catch my sister home. After admitting that and seeing my neighbor's face I felt a ting of guilt and questioned whether the whole thing was a prompting or just me grasping at any way to care for my sister.

I drove to her house. AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MONTHS--actually found the house without driving through a lot of different roads first! (Miracle because she lives in a weird area that I always go in and out of neighborhoods to find.) As I pulled up I saw the garage door open and joyed seeing a car inside! And even more joy when the back up lights came on. I got out of my car and ran over as the car pulled into the street... AND THERE WAS MY SISTER and her boyfriend! She had the look of "caught" and "I was just leaving". My look was one of pure joy, "God, you are sooo good! You got me here with only a 20 sec window of opportunity!"

We chatted in the street. Them in the car and me outside the window. It was no more than 5 mins of talking when another car pulled up and the man asked my sister about her mom. I could tell from her expression she was less thrilled to see that man/"Caught again" and when he left I asked who he was and she said he was a man from her mom's ward. I smiled internally for surely that man must have been seeking a way to check in on the family too! And surely the sister was just thinking she had bad luck--but I praised God at all His magnificent ways to send in the troops and open steel bolted doors!

My gal committed to a visit wed night and the better news is that her boyfriend will be in Wy and won't be a powerful physical reason of why not to let us in.

Seriously, amazing!!

Now has she wanted to come to God or give up all the things keeping her from God--! The answer is a resounding "not yet"! HOWEVER--God has given me stewardship to love and care for this sister, regardless of the choices she makes. And HE MAKES A WAY for us to love/care for His sheep!! He knows this girl, and loves her more than my imperfect love even knows how.

...this I know, that God has and will continue to prepare a way!! And some of my sweetest recent experience have been when God has told me to do something that my natural man quicker than snot answer was, "NO WAY"! But a WAY is what God will prepare if I am just willing to move my feet/open my mouth and act immediately on the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

And do I have all the free time in the world?! I have just committed to getting up an hour earlier each day because I need MORE time. But if I am for God, and am sincere about wanting to be on His errand--then even in the business and craziness of life and all it throws at us-- God WILL make a way for us! He has been for me!