Monday, November 23, 2020

Day 4 - Humans #GiveThanks

About a month before school started, I was reading The Friend magazine with my kiddos on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We had read through several articles and then came to this one.

I started reading and then was overcome with emotions. My kiddos asked me why I had stopped reading. And then they asked me why I was crying because I wasn't/couldn't talk. Back up a few months... with COVID 19 I had many friends who had chosen and/or were impressed to do homeschool with their kids. I had been praying for months about what was right for our family. As I read this article to my children, it was impressed upon my heart that God wanted my children in school. That He had people to reach out to--through my children. And that they would be a light for Him and bring others to Christ. It was hard to choke back the emotion. I had been pondering and praying for so long. And here was my answer. I was/still am deeply grateful to God for the personal revelation for our family. 

I have been incredibly overwhelmed by the amazing teachers and staff who have faced COVID challenges with courageous hearts. What an absolute blessing it has been to have them love and serve not only my children but our whole community. And I know that such teachers and staff can be found in any community! I applaud them and their tireless efforts. My family prays for them. 

This weekend someone needed help on their home, and good men, including my husband, came together and gave up most of their Saturday in physical labor. I don't toot their horn or the fact that I have an awesome husband [it is a true statement he is awesome but that is beside point! 🤪] --but I PRAISE the fact that there are good men who give of their time caring for the needs of those outside their own families. 

We had a fairly large, somewhat last min project this past weekend. Mr. Dashing and I put out calls to many different folks to help. The troops came in! Masked up, everyone so willing and eager to help. One friend, in particular, is a mother to eight between her blood and foster children, and give or take on any day she can have a household of 11+. She has a can-do attitude, and she is amazing at "rolling with the punches" as she likes to call it. With a large family of littles up to a stellar Senior, to say her plate is "full" would be a gracious understatement. But yet she gave of her time and energy to a project that needed to get done. She helped on Saturday and then again on Sunday. In thanking her in a text, she responded, "...Please keep letting us know of service opportunities." !!! Never mind that just a month ago this same beautiful friend gave her whole Saturday to help pack someone's house who needed help and she rallied in the troops and made a way for more people to show up and help the very desperate situation. 😍

From the mail carrier who will slow down her pace just so my little boy can go and love on her, to the folks at the grocery store who always open up a lane to check me out at nearly closing time so I don't have to take my mountain of a grocery cart through self-checkout, to another friend who when I was apologizing for all the inconvenience I felt I was causing her--she rejoiced in having the opportunity to give service. ... These folks are so inspiring to me. And I often leave from my interactions with them wanting to be better. 

Today, and MANY days, I am grateful for HUMANS who reflect the Savior's love. Who give of their precious time selflessly. They all make me want to be better. 


  Happinesis: a freshly cleaned sink and floors that have been swept!