Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Day 5 _ COME FOLLOW ME, FAITH AND INSPIRED CHILDREN'S LITERATURE. #GiveThanks

Tonight was my night to prepare something for our Come Follow Me time. I stepped into another room to read and prepare. This week covers Ether chapter 12! So much good stuff. 

As I thought about the faith presented in that chapter, I pondered what I could share with my children about faith and what it is, and how to teach them. I grabbed a book that has illustrations of where we were before we came to this earth life. 

We talked about how they already exercised faith in Heavenly Father by choosing His plan and coming to earth to get a body, gain experience, and to choose to serve Jesus. Both my children's eyes lit up when I told them they had already exercised great faith. The spirit was present.

Then we read this book: 


It is based on a true story of a little family that right before planting season, their father is called on a mission to Norway. Because of all the demands on the mother, they are very late planting their precious grains of wheat. When everyone's fields around them are green and tender, their field is still just brown dirt. The daughter is devastated and angry at God for having her father on a mission. She is fearful that their crop will be lost to an early frost. 

Soon a swarm of crickets comes into their little area and devours all the fields leaving nothing behind to be harvested. The daughter is again angry... 

"In the days that followed, thunderclouds caused a heavy darkness to settle over the battered community. "Go away." Eliza cried. "there's nothing left to run-on now." 

None of it made sense. She had been faithful when Papa was called. She had worked until her hands blistered and her tanned skin was as dark as the soil. She had prayed without stopping and had tried not to murmur. Yet their beautiful valley was chewed to shreds. Eliza had never felt quite so dark. Angry words came blurting out.

"We need Papa!" she cried. "Papa should have said he wouldn't go!" But before her last words were lost in the dim light, she felt Mama's hand resting firmly on her head. 

"Choose Eliza," she said. "Will you keep giving your heart to fear and sadness? Or will you give it in faith, to God? Choose this day--yes, or no? It's time to choose."

The girl goes to be alone and think and comes to the conclusion that she will live by faith. I won't go on with the story unless someone out there would like to read it, but our living room was filled with a very sweet spirit. Mr. D gave our closing prayer... it was wonderful and heaven was in our home... 

We did the reading program of 1000 books before Kindergarten with my two oldest. We have been working on it (not for the program, but the program went along with what we were already doing). I don't have a theme when I go and check out library books... I just start down one shelf, pick out 40 to borrow and then proceed to do the exact same thing, starting off where I last grabbed books. We have already gone through most of the children's literature at our public library. And in all of that reading... there have been maybe less than 10 books total that moved me/inspired me to the point that I wanted the book in our home. That seems crazy to me!!! So why do we get the books then? For the fact that I get to snuggle and be a "good" mommy without trying as I am not usually having to be a referee or hush contention. My kids eat it up and if I didn't fall asleep while reading they would let me read to them for hours. 

I am sooo thankful for inspired children's literature. Literature that helps them to think, to ponder. Literature that inspires them to come closer to Christ. I am grateful for the reminder of the faith my children already exercised towards Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ before ever joining our family. And I am thankful for our Come Follow Me time. 


  Happinesis: Orange cake brought over by our thoughtful neighbor. YUM!